Tell me theorys on bunting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Holy crap people were just analyzing charts accumulated numbers people will argue about everything on this website.
what he meant to say that there are no accumulated stats for much of the softball that is discussed on here and he isn't wrong. It would be interesting to see at what age group/level the run expectancy charts that were posted would change qualitatively, if at all. Probably 12U? 14U? The amount of passed balls/wild pitches at the lower ages would probably screw with it a decent amount..

Oct 14, 2019
there are no analytics regarding the efficacy of bunting in fastpitch 8u-18u. misguided persons pointed to mlb as a guidepost but mlb is inapplicable. the charts you refer to are run expectancies dependent on # of outs and runners on base. the charts say nothing about how bunting affects these run expectancies. your “conclusion” is based on nothing.

Jun 8, 2016
The analytics that MLB (and perhaps HL college fastpitch teams?) use in the dugout on a day to day basis are much more player-based ("situational") I would assume.

Mar 10, 2020
what he meant to say that there are no accumulated stats for much of the softball that is discussed on here and he isn't wrong. It would be interesting to see at what age group/level the run expectancy charts that were posted would change qualitatively, if at all. Probably 12U? 14U? The amount of passed balls/wild pitches at the lower ages would probably screw with it a decent amount..
Concur

Dec 11, 2010
I didn’t post anything about mlb but can anyone deny that it is at least mildly interesting that the run expectancy for a runner on 2 with one out is so similar between all college levels of softball and D1 baseball? (I’m assuming that someone actually looked at the charts.)

After all, the games really do have differences. Softball has players that specialize in this one aspect of the game. Softball players actually practice bunting regularly.

Im really not convinced that there would be much difference in expectancies at decent level 16/18u softball.

Of course without stats, it’s all folklore, legend and what that dude Bob said behind the backstop.

Jun 8, 2016
I think that basically tells you that a) the probabilities of various batting outcomes are similar and b) the chance of scoring a run on those outcomes is similar. ...maybe? The latter would be interesting due to field dimension difference but it may be offset due to athletic differences in the two (men throw harder,run faster ,etc )

Edit: or maybe c) a and b are different in college fastpitch and college/ML baseball but they work together to give more or less the same sort of run expectancy numbers...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Yes.

Base stealing came up while I was ignoring this thread.

I will say the same thing about base stealing I said about bunting:

Stealing with a plan to cause chaos and score runs is awesome.

Stealing because the defense might not expect it is giving outs away. (Good reader, if you coach 10 or 12u, this may not apply yet.)

Stealing third can be done very successfully. If you have the right runner on 2 and a rh batter in the box that can fake bunt, you win that battle a lot.

Straight steal her and see what happens.

People miss the concept of having a plan. They then assume that just because someone posts expectancies, that’s the only thing they know. Then they cluck about that one time at 18u gold band camp.…. OF COURSE you bunt a 2.7 home to first more than you bunt a 3.3 power hitter. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
And before someone starts clucking about fake bunt steal, it is just an example of something that can tip the scales in favor of the runner.

Which is “having a plan”.

Which is what I posted on about page 3

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I didn’t post anything about mlb but can anyone deny that it is at least mildly interesting that the run expectancy for a runner on 2 with one out is so similar between all college levels of softball and D1 baseball? (I’m assuming that someone actually looked at the charts.)

After all, the games really do have differences. Softball has players that specialize in this one aspect of the game. Softball players actually practice bunting regularly.

Im really not convinced that there would be much difference in expectancies at decent level 16/18u softball.

Of course without stats, it’s all folklore, legend and what that dude Bob said behind the backstop.
just in comparison thinking of the different size of the fields between softball and baseball does that play a role in expectancy in scoring a run with runners on certain bases?

Also what would be the comparison of error percentage between MLB and say the college level and softball? Simply because those would be the closest relative possibility of comparison level wise....oh but its not...
By accumulation of talented players in one place compared to another.
Brings
this maybe should be comparing college softball to college baseball and those scoring & error percentages.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles