TEAMS/coaches who perpetually have players trying out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
TEAMS coaches who perpetually have players come to try out.
Yet the roster stays at 12 players.

And heres another trying out
New Tryout Player at practice.
Who then comes out to be a
New Tryout Player at games.
But no player gets picked up.
Roster stays at 12.
Weekly monthly ongoing for entire time since team started
After 4 month's
What would you think of it?

*What does this perpetual 'issue' signal/say to you?

Ohhh wait, maybe its not an 'issue' to everyone.
Me, notice it creates instability to the families/players who are actually on the roster.
How about DFP?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
Seems strange but maybe the coach is signaling to his girls none of you have secure spots, don't get complacent? A very good travel franchise here holds large tryouts every summer but never seems to pick up any new girls--even after showing much interest in them at the tryout. I always wonder if it's a way to keep their girls humble (they make them attend and try out too). I can see the coach saying - you see we had 100 girls over the 3 days of try outs who want YOUR spot - don't stop hustling! But doing it all season long, that's bizarre.

Jun 26, 2019
You could look at it as open competition, I understand that point of view and mentality but at age 12, my philosophy says coach the players you have to the best of your ability and go with them until there is a need.
Are coaches actively recruiting? Or are players continually coming to coaches?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I think most teams have some degree of churn in their rosters. At any given moment, a portion of any roster is unhappy for some reason. If you look at player histories, there are many, many examples of a different team every year and even multiple teams in the same season. Similarly, there are coaches always looking for the upgrade.

DD's team has tried to carry more than 12, but the roster inevitably sheds anything more than that. It has maintained a core of players since inception, and it wins more than it loses every season, and we've seen players leave for every conceivable reason. In some cases, it's financial or other personal concern. For several, it wasn't about playing time, but a failure to gel with the team or coaching style. In a couple of instances, it was a demand for playing a particular position that wouldn't be met by anyone not desperate. However, for some, they just weren't playing enough.

From experience, I believe that 12 is the optimum number for a youth softball team on gameday. I know people will argue for the need of extra players to compensate for absences and heat, and they're not necessarily wrong...from a coach's perspective. However, from a gameday player management standpoint, it's hard to keep more than 12 players happy about playing time. It's a fairly simple math problem. People will argue that frequent substitutions, pinch running, and accepting the "role" of being on the bench should satisfy, but again, that's the coach's perspective.

I know there are outlier examples of the Glory Elite Unobtanium team with 25+ players, but from my vantage point under the bell curve, 12 players is the typical youth roster size regardless of age. Some basic economics principals can apply here; smaller teams present more playing opportunity, and large teams present less. Absent a desire to wear a specific jersey that outweighs all other considerations, the vast majority of youth players want to be on the field, and they'll gravitate to where they (or their parents) think the best opportunity lies.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
TEAMS coaches who perpetually have players come to try out.
Yet the roster stays at 12 players.

And heres another trying out
New Tryout Player at practice.
Who then comes out to be a
New Tryout Player at games.
But no player gets picked up.
Roster stays at 12.
Weekly monthly ongoing for entire time since team started
After 4 month's
What would you think of it?

*What does this perpetual 'issue' signal/say to you?

Ohhh wait, maybe its not an 'issue' to everyone.
Me, notice it creates instability to the families/players who are actually on the roster.
How about DFP?
It is an issue and I agree with you. Been there done that and left the idiot's team because of the constant pressure that a kid doesn't need to feel. It's ridiculous for a Select ball coach to treat his team as if it is a College team. There's plenty of time for that type of cut throat competition when they actually get to college so no need to put up with it in Select ball. Hey Coach..........Pick your team in August and go to work with them. Develop them. Coach them. If you are constantly trying to improve your team for winning purposes, you are coaching for the wrong reasons.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think most teams have some degree of churn in their rosters. At any given moment, a portion of any roster is unhappy for some reason. If you look at player histories, there are many, many examples of a different team every year and even multiple teams in the same season. Similarly, there are coaches always looking for the upgrade.

DD's team has tried to carry more than 12, but the roster inevitably sheds anything more than that. It has maintained a core of players since inception, and it wins more than it loses every season, and we've seen players leave for every conceivable reason. In some cases, it's financial or other personal concern. For several, it wasn't about playing time, but a failure to gel with the team or coaching style. In a couple of instances, it was a demand for playing a particular position that wouldn't be met by anyone not desperate. However, for some, they just weren't playing enough.

From experience, I believe that 12 is the optimum number for a youth softball team on gameday. I know people will argue for the need of extra players to compensate for absences and heat, and they're not necessarily wrong...from a coach's perspective. However, from a gameday player management standpoint, it's hard to keep more than 12 players happy about playing time. It's a fairly simple math problem. People will argue that frequent substitutions, pinch running, and accepting the "role" of being on the bench should satisfy, but again, that's the coach's perspective.

I know there are outlier examples of the Glory Elite Unobtanium team with 25+ players, but 12 players is also the typical youth roster size regardless of age. Some basic economics principals can apply here; smaller teams present more playing opportunity, and large teams present less. Absent a desire to wear a specific jersey that outweighs all other considerations, the vast majority of youth players want to be on the field, and they'll gravitate to where they (or their parents) think the best opportunity lies.
CHURN excellent word!
Screenshot_2021-05-01-07-18-55-1.png

Jul 22, 2015
It would make a difference to me if the players trying out always play same position (or general position group). If so, then obviously the coach is letting the team know he/she doesn't feel good about that spot. If not, then it sounds like the coach is just trying to add talent. With a 12 player roster there is room to add talent if needed.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If the roster stays at 12 then two things could be happening. Coach is looking for that one player that is better than than top half of roster and they don't ever add a player, or the team is continually drop/add players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elhoff86