Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
If you think that there has to be flexibility at times, then you don't like what this coach is doing. There was no flexibility that I saw in the original post.
Care to argue fine points online much? Tell me again how I feel...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
(I assume the coach in question wasn’t a Barbarian and would allow interaction for extenuating circumstances), this thread is being addressed by the wrong constituency…
Or some people assumed that the coach is a barbarian and throughout facilitating with common sense.

Kind of made me chuckle to read people would think the coach is going to let the players dehydrate and not allow them enough water. Or that people would think the coach is going to let the entire team sit there 8 hour game break at the field without planning something better for the players. But that's okay people had questions or uncertainty that lead the conversation further. Good!

Perhaps add disclaimers like 100% detail not added to this original post.
imo This was pretty simple tho
Addressing the topic about not allowing parents to interact with the players.
Maybe should have said 'because it causes a bunch of extra crap that the Coach has to deal with and can affect the players also.' That would have rattled the cage immediately LOL

I can understand why some parents would not like that. On the other hand absolutely understand why some players really like that especially the coach doesn't have to deal with junk every weekend.

... while in another thread is talking about how obnoxious the fans are watching the games... imagine that.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Or some people assumed that the coach is a barbarian and throughout facilitating with common sense.

Kind of made me chuckle to read people would think the coach is going to let the players dehydrate and not allow them enough water. Or that people would think the coach is going to let the entire team sit there 8 hour game break at the field without planning something better for the players. But that's okay people had questions or uncertainty that lead the conversation further. Good!

Perhaps add disclaimers like 100% detail not added to this original post.
imo This was pretty simple tho
Addressing the topic about not allowing parents to interact with the players.
Maybe should have said 'because it causes a bunch of extra crap that the Coach has to deal with and can affect the players also.' That would have rattled the cage immediately LOL

I can understand why some parents would not like that. On the other hand absolutely understand why some players really like that especially the coach doesn't have to deal with junk every weekend.

... while in another thread is talking about how obnoxious the fans are watching the games... imagine that.
Some kids may not like it, some might. Some might be willing to put up with it if everything else that goes with it is a plus. Outside of safety concerns, any other parental concerns on the subject is just a parent thinking they play more of a role in how their kid does in a game then they actually do. As a matter of fact, many kids may actually play better if their parent isn't around (even if the parent has never done a thing to cause this...). Again that depends on the kid..

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Some kids may not like it, some might. Some might be willing to put up with it if everything else that goes with it is a plus. Outside of safety concerns, any other parental concerns on the subject is just a parent thinking they play more of a role in how their kid does in a game then they actually do. As a matter of fact, many kids may actually play better if their parent isn't around (even if the parent has never done a thing to cause this...). Again that depends on the kid..
Let me run this by the crew. DD is the no. 1 pitcher on her team right now. Her coaches don't work with pitchers, and are very upfront about not knowing about, or wanting to get involved in pitching mechanics.

Since I attend all her lessons as taxi driver and catcher, and work with her away from lessons, there are few mechanical flaws (bad habits) I can see when she pitches. A couple of these are easily remedied by a quick reminder. I'm not going to shout this out to her on the mound, so is it appropriate to approach the dug out and give her a quick reminder?

Edit: I'm not talking about entering the dug out. Just grabbing her attention for a quick second.

Jun 8, 2016
Let me run this by the crew. DD is the no. 1 pitcher on her team right now. Her coaches don't work with pitchers, and are very upfront about not knowing about, or wanting to get involved in pitching mechanics.

Since I attend all her lessons as taxi driver and catcher, and work with her away from lessons, there are few mechanical flaws (bad habits) I can see when she pitches. A couple of these are easily remedied by a quick reminder. I'm not going to shout this out to her on the mound, so is it appropriate to approach the dug out and give her a quick reminder?

Edit: I'm not talking about entering the dug out. Just grabbing her attention for a quick second.
You do what you want obviously but depending on the kid, that could lead to her looking over to you every time she throws a bad pitch..which is a bad look. I realize pitching is special, but I am my kid's sole hitting/fielding instructor. Should I tell her to keep her posture at the plate every time I see her come out of it or if she is not moving her feet correctly on a GB should I yell out that? What if every parent did that during the game (which is not too far from the truth sometimes..)? IMO, as hard as it is (and believe me, and you know me, it is very hard..not following this is what ultimately led to the infamous water bottle incident..) a parent's job is done once a tournament starts (and for the most part a coach's job is too at least in terms of instruction...) Games are for the kids..

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
You do what you want but depending on the kid, that could lead to her looking over to you every time she throws a bad pitch..which is a bad look. I realize pitching is special, but I am my kid's sole hitting/fielding instructor. Should I tell her to keep her posture at the plate every time I see her come out of it or if she is not moving her feet correctly on a GB should I yell out that? What if every parent did that during the game (which is not too far from the truth sometimes..)?
I'm not worried about my DD as much. She never looks at me when pitching, plus I try to stay out of eye sight just in case cuz I tend to look miserable no matter what is happening. More talking about the coaches.

The problem is, she has a flaw with her change up delivery, and when she does it the results aren't pretty (meatball right down central). If I was a different parent/coach I would be very happy if this got fixed as soon as possible. lol. It only happens in game situations (nerves I presume), so it's been difficult to fix in practice.

As of now I've been telling her when I see it happen (generally just have to tell her once), but after reading some of these posts, I feel like I've been crossing the 38th parallel.

Jun 20, 2015
it's been said that tourney's are won on the practice field...you just pick up the trophies at the ballpark.

I've sat right next to college coaches, while they were scouting players and witnessed player X get crossed off of the list due to player screaming at mom for water during game, or looking to dad for what pitch to throw (dad wasn't a coach), or expecting either parent to tote her crap to of from the field.

drop off the player at the field for warm up. watch, cheer and enjoy the game. pick them up after game and post game complete. And as a coach I pray every game I'm not yelling for parents of player X to get over here, cause "sally" just got hurt.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not worried about my DD as much. She never looks at me when pitching, plus I try to stay out of eye sight just in case cuz I tend to look miserable no matter what is happening. More talking about the coaches.

The problem is, she has a flaw with her change up delivery, and when she does it the results aren't pretty (meatball right down central). If I was a different parent/coach I would be very happy if this got fixed as soon as possible. lol. It only happens in game situations (nerves I presume), so it's been difficult to fix in practice.

As of now I've been telling her when I see it happen (generally just have to tell her once), but after reading some of these posts, I feel like I've been crossing the 38th parallel.
Yeah you are horrible human...lol!! I guess the next progression will be for her to be able to adjust herself..

May 21, 2018
I'm just commenting to avoid doing what I'm supposed to be doing honestly. Our team has a pretty relaxed atmosphere. We have several parents who are former/current coaches who help out when needed and even a shlub like me gets called in to warm up pitchers now and then.

I do find it interesting that in some sports you can be the reincarnation of Atilla the Hun and be a top recruit, but in softball, if your dad tosses you a water bottle between innings you are an entitled princess who is immediately shunned.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm just commenting to avoid doing what I'm supposed to be doing honestly.
😁

if your dad tosses you a water bottle between innings you are an entitled princess who is immediately shunned.
Or the little princess is completely embarrassed their parent is hovering🤷
And the players who know their parents take those moments of handing over a bottle of water to Chime at them some irritating sentence they don't need to hear during the game.

Plus not really talking about little kids, at this age players can have responsibilities.
How about being prepared before stepping on the field.

Just saying in a game I could ask for parents to go get me some grub, chomp down a few street tacos, rice and beans plate during a game...
How about some tri-tip!! no problem I'll just hang on to that chunk of tri-tip like a piece of beef jerky and knaw on it while I'm cheering...
Oh wait am I making that a little too extreme🤔...😁

Going to comment to this again, we know parents watch what other parents are doing, when they get to do something someone else wants to do what they want also...yep.

Prepare for the game before stepping on the field!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff