Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Nobody should need water mid game. Give me a break. My DDs water jug holds 48 oz. I think most parents are OK. They don't want to be the hovering one. So why not address the trouble parents privately and let us eat lunch with our daughters.

May 17, 2012
I'm not worried about my DD as much. She never looks at me when pitching, plus I try to stay out of eye sight just in case cuz I tend to look miserable no matter what is happening. More talking about the coaches.

The problem is, she has a flaw with her change up delivery, and when she does it the results aren't pretty (meatball right down central). If I was a different parent/coach I would be very happy if this got fixed as soon as possible. lol. It only happens in game situations (nerves I presume), so it's been difficult to fix in practice.

As of now I've been telling her when I see it happen (generally just have to tell her once), but after reading some of these posts, I feel like I've been crossing the 38th parallel.

I would just make a note (or a video) and mention it later in practice (not on the car ride home).

There is no change that you are going to make during a game that will make a difference. The same goes for coaches that give batting tips during an at-bat. It just isn't going to matter.

Jun 8, 2016
Nobody should need water mid game. Give me a break. My DDs water jug holds 48 oz. I think most parents are OK. They don't want to be the hovering one. So why not address the trouble parents privately and let us eat lunch with our daughters.
Would I implement this if I was coaching? No. Would I cross this team off my list off my list because of this? No. Would I let my kid decide if this was her cup of tea? Yes.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
LOL edit:
"They dont want to be the hovering one"
Edit: they don't want to admit they are the hovering one.

May 10, 2021
For more chit chat everybody
🙂 not a spotlight interrogation on Strike2 LOL just asking...

Do you think it could happen that the influence of Parental conversation could contribute to a players emotional or mental thinking between coming back from one game to another?

Or perhaps
that if the team stayed together during game breaks they could understand getting to know each other better and learn team unity?
Like when I tell my DD everything she did wrong in the previous game???? Many parents do this and I can see that altering the mental state.

The less parents say the better IMO.......let the coaches coach and have the food ready. Everyone wins.

May 10, 2021
DD's team doesn't want players talking to their parents from warm up until the end of games, unless something is wrong. There are a couple of parents who still yell things out to their players through the fence.

DD does best when she knows we can see her, but we don't make our presence known. No cheering, no yelling. DD is okay with me speaking only if necessary (I keep score so every once in a while I have to speak to an ump or a coach). It works for her, and it's a reminder that we don't have to go out of our way for our kid to know we support her.
I have found rare or nonexistent parent/player interaction at tourneys usually is preferred by the coaches and especially the players.

You have a problem if you are talking to your DD in the on deck circle. Let them play. Why is this so difficult for parents?

Really we need a support group for this.

May 10, 2021
I sat behind the Texas A&M parents at a regional once. Believe me, the crazy parents have not been weeded out.
I was at a Iowa/Michigan baseball game a few weekends ago and the Dad of the Iowa pitcher absolutely lost his mind after a balk call. I mean for like 10 minutes screaming and hollering and of course the follow up of screaming at every close pitch thereafter. The guy was close to 70.

My kids just watched and stared......."now you know why I'm silent".

May 10, 2021
At my HS daughter's game a few nights ago I had heard some kind of barking coming from behind the backstop during game 1, but didn't pay much attention. But as I walked behind the backstop later on my way to work concessions, one of the opposing players was yelling (and half crying) at her dad going "you HAVE to stop doing that! You're throwing me off my game!" I'm not big on kids yelling at their parents--and especially in public--but, I kinda felt bad for her. So many people just don't know their place when it comes to being a spectator.
It is a learned behavior for many including myself. Many never learn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse