Teaching the young ones to throw

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMo2g58k_QM

Make sure they have proper mechanics. Check their grip on the ball. It's one thing people tend to neglect. Elbow at or above level point of the shoulder. Ball facing away from target with glove hand pointing at target to start the throw. Teach getting long with the ball hand.

Oct 12, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMo2g58k_QM

Make sure they have proper mechanics. Check their grip on the ball. It's one thing people tend to neglect. Elbow at or above level point of the shoulder. Ball facing away from target with glove hand pointing at target to start the throw. Teach getting long with the ball hand.

This is bad advice and can lead to elbow problems.

That's why good throwers don't actually do it.

May 18, 2009
Throwing clinic discussion and analysis of correct throwing mechanics and how the Throwmax helps.

" Early Cocking/Late Cocking
In the beginning of an overhand throw, the cocking of the arm can often determine the arm slot a thrower will use (arm slot is the path of the arm from the beginning of the throw until its conclusion). If the arm is put into anything besides the high-cock position (as shown to right) then the elbow is usually below the shoulder and can cause a mechanically incorrect throw leading to injury."

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I used to teach show the ball to 2B, because they sometimes need to shoot beyond what you need in order to reach the desired goal. Now I teach show the ball to 3B, the problem I was trying to correct actually turned out to be the dropped elbow and showing the ball to CF/2B , while it appeared effective in some cases, wasn't doing enough. In reality, it should face 3B anyway.

Oct 12, 2009
Throwing clinic discussion and analysis of correct throwing mechanics and how the Throwmax helps.

" Early Cocking/Late Cocking
In the beginning of an overhand throw, the cocking of the arm can often determine the arm slot a thrower will use (arm slot is the path of the arm from the beginning of the throw until its conclusion). If the arm is put into anything besides the high-cock position (as shown to right) then the elbow is usually below the shoulder and can cause a mechanically incorrect throw leading to injury."

The Throwmax is a waste of money.

A low elbow isn't as big of a problem as some people say, and when it happens it's usually a symptom of something else.

May 18, 2009
I agree about the throw max being a waste of money but I put it up as a photo of the ball in the up throwing position. I checked your website out and your son has nice mechanics. His arm is fully stretched with fingers on top of the ball. I believe pointing to second base is an over exaggeration that is taught to enforce the arm extension. Most of the time the ball is toward third or between third and second. What is common, I see it more with girls, is the elbow down and the throwing hand/ball facing the catcher.

Feb 9, 2011
Watch team USA clips on the infield practices; elbows tucked and feet and shoulders perpendicular to the target, we teach our kids to crow hop in the outfield to throw or straight to the ear and across the body for the infield. As long as it's not a shotput I'm ok with it. We use the progressive dart drill to start but mostly to get the girls focusing on grip and the target.

My DD used her own version of an outfield throw from short to generate more speed and got a girl at first the other night.

I started using the drill where to girls circle each other and throw to generate a quick release they automatically start to pull the ball to their ears and fire with greater accuracy.

Oct 25, 2009
I put off buying a ThrowMax for years before finally buying one this past fall. It has helped shorten the teaching time for two girls who just could not get the message to keep the arm around 90 degrees. They haven't had to use it for the past month or so. They only used it for a few practices.

It is worth the $40 bucks to save that training time. And I know I'll need it for someone else eventually. It's a great tool!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish