Overhand throwing velocity. What is the highest you have ever seen recorded?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You’re right it’s obnoxious sometimes we lose sight and need it pointed out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that’s no fun. What kind of adult response was that? Take it back.. I was hoping for an argument 😂

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Here is a thread from 2016 on throwing velocity:

Found an NFCA document from 2011 that says the top 10pct of D1 players throw >=61.9mph

I think that 61.9 mph would no longer be the top 10% of D1 players anymore. Maybe girls are throwing harder today but my guess would be more like 68 mph + would be the top 10%. I could be way off, really have no idea.

Jan 22, 2011
Just checked video I took during Austin’s clinic. He said right now average high school velocity is 54 and average P5 velocity is 61.

Doing a google search, found a Wasserman video of a player reaching 70mph overhand, but she got a running start to build up some momentum.

Don’t want to exaggerate, but I know a couple players were reaching 57/58 with a shuffle start. One might of reached 59.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Here's a good article and video about where girls should be and when. He also says a lot of girls have poor throwing mechanics, even at the D1 level, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's a good article and video about where girls should be and when. He also says a lot of girls have poor throwing mechanics, even at the D1 level, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

The numbers he is quoting seem about right for game-like throwing conditions from the IF. Crow-hops,pro-steps, etc probably add at least 5 mph. In reality they should do pop-time like tests for IF for different types of balls if they wanted to get a true measure of effectiveness (the problem there would be producing consistent ground balls in order to get comparisons)

Aug 5, 2022
I think that 61.9 mph would no longer be the top 10% of D1 players anymore. Maybe girls are throwing harder today but my guess would be more like 68 mph + would be the top 10%. I could be way off, really have no idea.

I would agree and I wonder if the stat would change if it was incoming freshman vs upperclassman.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I would agree and I wonder if the stat would change if it was incoming freshman vs upperclassman.

Of course, it would. An upperclassman is a grown woman. An incoming freshman is still a teenager.

If you're talking about measuring in-game, controlled speeds, 70 MPH is probably unrealistic. Maybe not for an outfielder who can load up under a fly ball and get a running start, but there's no way an SS is throwing 70 MPH in a game situation with any regularity.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles