Strong/weak coaching vs. playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
Opinions please....
To improve a players game would it be better to play on a strong team with good coaching and get very minimal playing time or a weaker team with minimal coaching and get tons of playing time?
What if you were the pitcher, would that change the situation?

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I have seen moderately talented pitchers leave good instruction due to lack of pitching time, or because they only pitched pool, etc. Usually because Dad had an ego trip, couldnt tolerate them being #3 pitcher.

They went to teams where they thought they would pitch more. But they didnt always. Seems that some coaches are full of ....empty promises, or just plain BS. The teams they went to usally were Daddy-coached and coaches DD still got the game time (who would have thought, huh?). Eventually they usually quit those teams too, and went somewhere else again. Every time, bouncing down the ladder of quality a rung. Developing a reputation as a player that quits, and better teams wouldnt touch them.

So, a couple yrs later they were stagnant at the same level they were when they left the good instruction. And, the other girls with good instruction, had passed them up.

This doesnt apply just to pitching either, but there is a moral in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
You can't beat proper instruction. Playing time with no instruction will not get you anywhere.

As for the pitcher, if you have a top notch pitcher, but she's on a team with three other top notch pitchers, one is going to have less playing time. I thought I was in heaven a couple years ago with 5 pitchers. Joke was on me when it came to trying to get them all game time, to no fault of any of the pitchers. You want to get good playing time. If you're not getting it on a top notch team, does that mean you have to go to a below par team to get it? Probably not. There is a happy medium to get the proper playing time. Being open and up front with the coach is also a good thing. One item I've learned is that the travel ball is a very small community and you do not want to burn bridges. Shoot, you may even be invited for some pickup play down the road if needed.

Good luck

May 25, 2010
There is a happy medium to get the proper playing time. Being open and up front with the coach is also a good thing.

As a newbie, this is one of the dilemmas I've seen going back and forth, as there are some who hold to the philosophy that there's no substitute for innings in the circle, while others feel one must strive to be on the best team possible, regardless of innings she'll pitch.

Our kiddo is opting for innings right now, being so young and inexperienced.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you are getting minimal coaching, then the information you are getting may be wrong, too.

I have seen strong players play down and time after time, their game goes down the tube, also.

I think you should play in an environment where you are constantly being challenged to be better.

The practices is where she is going to learn the most about softball.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Practice, team and at home is where you learn how to play.

Games are where you prove you have learned what has been taught. The oddball in game situations are learning experiences you can't practice are game learning, but mostly practice.

Good coaches with successful teams and skilled kids are teaching the right things, and likely can see what each player needs and knows how to teach it.

I would recommend going with the best coaching. Be open with the coach that you know your player has some work to do and let the coach know you are willing to help at home so she can catch up and earn a spot in the starting line up. Every coach I know is thrilled silly when a parent shows genuine interest in helping with individual practice at home and is willing to invest the time to learn the drills and instructional methods to be helpful. Becarful, if you get too good at helping your own kid you might get snagged for an assitant coach.

Oct 18, 2009
It depends what your goals are. If its simply to play and you aren't looking at it as a primary sport the weaker team/ coaching with more playing time might be the right choice. If you have higher aspirations the better coaching and a little patience will make them better players in the long run. Competition for playing time (especially in the circle) can sometimes help girls work harder and get better. If time permits; join a second less competitive team where she can get innings. In our area a lot of girls play travel/club ball and Little League. While some don't pitch on the competitive team; they are the main pitchers at the Little League level and get their innings that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06