Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
You are correct, it isn't, and if I am going to call the zone by the book it won't be called.

Pedant: noun a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules.

Yep, I certainly hope so!

May 16, 2016
Do I really want the strike zone called by the book all times, all circumstances."

Yes. As a pitcher, I want to know ahead of time what is a strike, and what's not a strike.

Yes. As a batter, I want to know ahead of time, what is a strike, and what's not a strike.

I don't want to waste an inning or two having to figure out what you consider a strike on that particular day...

Oct 10, 2019
The best umpires I had to deal with were the ones who kept the same strike zone all game long. I didn't care if it was a ball 3 inches off the plate as long as it was called that way all day. I could tell my hitters and my pitchers to adjust to it. The ones who really would drive me crazy were the ones who would shrink the zone to the size of a bread box once they could tell a pitcher had control but when the other pitcher couldn't hit the broad side of a barn they would call strike for anything that came somewhat close to the plate.
For the record, I tried umpiring once and it was not easy.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Yes. As a pitcher, I want to know ahead of time what is a strike, and what's not a strike.

Yes. As a batter, I want to know ahead of time, what is a strike, and what's not a strike.

While I appreciate your response AND your sentiments, what I was asking for was the feelings of the pitchers, batters and coaches themselves. I already know what the parents want.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@ Puds: Thank you for the response, consistency is what we strive for, a strike in the first inning should be a strike in the 7th. As for the second half of your post, that would frustrate and bewilder me as well, if a P has shown control and is hitting her spots why would I SHRINK the zone? As for a P who is struggling, they get the 'book zone' regardless of where her C is setting up. Just throw something I can call a strike.....

May 16, 2016
While I appreciate your response AND your sentiments, what I was asking for was the feelings of the pitchers, batters and coaches themselves. I already know what the parents want.

I am a coach... and a parent... and I have been a batter and a pitcher... But thanks for taking the time to dismiss the opinion you asked for. Cheers.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
After reviewing my previous response, it did come across as dismissive. Not my intent, in fact I said I was appreciative. It is seldom that pitchers' and batters' perspectives are the same in relation to the strike zone. In fact, the one place they ARE identical is in relation to consistency from start of game to finish. As stated above, that is something I do strive for. Would you agree or disagree with the following statements:

1) With few exceptions, pitchers cannot 'live' in the upper part of the strike zone and would prefer to trade those pitches for borderline pitches at the side.

2) Coaches have very little idea of whether a pitch is in or out.

3) The effective width of the strike zone is approx. 25 inches.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
2) Coaches have very little idea of whether a pitch is in or out.

This is true. I usually go by the catcher, though it's not perfect. I can see where she sets up, and I can see how much she's moving. If a catcher is diving all over the place for "strikes" and my batters are telling me the pitches are in/out, then I might get mad about it. But I tend to not say much about balls/strikes.

To answer your previous question about calling pitches by the book:

As a batter, yes. I always had a very good command of the strike zone as a hitter. I knew what my zone was, and I wasn't striking out looking unless and umpire had his own ideas.

As a pitcher, I like how you do it. I never threw hard and really only had one pitch, but I had very good control. I would've loved you calling the game as a pitcher.

Dec 11, 2010
I am on the road and was pretty happy to see a deep discussion here this morning when I got up.

The posts Marriard made here are really good.

I want to call particular attention to a topic that was solidly touched on- catchers “getting strikes” for their pitcher.

I coached with a rare human that understood this and he was constantly pestering his catchers about how they received the ball. It got old, it was kind of hard to listen to, but when they “got it”, all of a sudden our pitchers were better. A lot better.

I see this all the time. Two similar pitchers, throwing similar pitches but one is getting called strikes and the other isn’t. Often spectators are ragging the umpire. The difference maker is the catcher.

@RADcatcher you post some excellent topics, this might be a great one. Add in Marriard and some pitching perspective and a lot could be learned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma