Streaming hardware

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2021
HI all,

New to the group and been reviewing all the insights to live streaming. It appears the consensus is that GoPro is good for recording but not streaming. Mevo Plus is better to streaming than the new Start due to the DFOV (150 degrees vs 83ish). So with that what are people doing to acquire the Plus? It looks like they are pretty hard to come by since they were discontinued. As to fence mount, I see Josh and others like the LynkSpyder. Anyone have any experience with the BCM-1 by backstop camera mounts? I like the idea of getting it higher and it seems like it might take some climbing or a ladder to get a LynkSpyder up there but it likely provides a better, more secure mount. I don't see anything on the LynkSpyder site to allow for a high mount.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
Build your own. This one extends almost four feet, allows me to put it up high for filming without having a ladder.

Attachments

• 20200227_153113_resized.jpg
    20200227_153113_resized.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200227_142637_resized.jpg
    20200227_142637_resized.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 53
Mar 30, 2021
Build your own. This one extends almost four feet, allows me to put it up high for filming without having a ladder.
That's a fun rig. How's the stability? Do you use anything to clip the bottom end of the extension pole to the fence like a bungie cord or something?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I'm always cautious getting into conversations like these. Yes I have a vested interest and certainly do not want to stifle the conversation. It's a big ol' market and we recognize that everyone's needs are different. But my issue with the options discussed would be that anything that protrudes into the field of play (extends through the fence and could be contacted) is a potential target that could transfer energy to the camera and/or affect the play. Secondarily, in my experience, mounting a camera too high on the fence doesn't give a decent representation of the strike zone. When I mount high, it is usually at night and I'm trying to keep the field lights out of the shot (mount high, angle camera down). Another reason is to avoid being in the way of spectators. But I generally find that moving side to side produces a better final video than moving up to avoid them.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
That's a fun rig. How's the stability? Do you use anything to clip the bottom end of the extension pole to the fence like a bungie cord or something?

nope, the weight of it is enough to keep it in place. I used a garage rake hanger, turned upside, attached to the selfie stick. Goes on a fence easy and the rubber on the arms keeps it in place.

Mar 30, 2021
I'm always cautious getting into conversations like these. Yes I have a vested interest and certainly do not want to stifle the conversation. It's a big ol' market and we recognize that everyone's needs are different. But my issue with the options discussed would be that anything that protrudes into the field of play (extends through the fence and could be contacted) is a potential target that could transfer energy to the camera and/or affect the play. Secondarily, in my experience, mounting a camera too high on the fence doesn't give a decent representation of the strike zone. When I mount high, it is usually at night and I'm trying to keep the field lights out of the shot (mount high, angle camera down). Another reason is to avoid being in the way of spectators. But I generally find that moving side to side produces a better final video than moving up to avoid them.
Thanks Josh. I appreciate the insight and understand you have a vested interest. Valid point on something going through the fence and the potential for contact. In your experience, what's the optimal height for camera mounting? Obviously at a 6'-ish height you would need to move to the side to avoid the umpire if strike zone is to be captured. Being slightly above (8-10'?) would still give the side to side zone but cut down on the height of the ball a bit.

Mar 30, 2021
nope, the weight of it is enough to keep it in place. I used a garage rake hanger, turned upside, attached to the selfie stick. Goes on a fence easy and the rubber on the arms keeps it in place.
Love the simplicity! Any direct hits to the hanger part that protrudes through the fence? And issue with officials being concerned about something protruding through the fence?

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana

Foe me it mainly to avoid the spectators watching from behind the backstop. Plus my kid is a catcher so I want to be high enough and off to the side to not be blocked by the ump. I go up maybe 7 or 8 feet off the ground is all.

The way the rig is set up the little feet extend maybe a 1/2 to 1 inch in through the fence. Not that much more that anything else that clips to the fence. Maybe I have been lucky, but in 3 years of filming I have only been knocked off the fence 1 time.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
Love the simplicity! Any direct hits to the hanger part that protrudes through the fence? And issue with officials being concerned about something protruding through the fence?

Been hit and knocked off once in 3 years. every now and then the fence gets a close enough shot to have it rotate a little. it barely sticks through, so has not been an issue so far.

Mar 30, 2021
As a followup, who is everyone using for the live streaming? Season Cast? Looks like Sideline HD is going to be great but still beta. What's the acceptance criteria for the beta? Other avenues?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad