Let's see your camera gear setups!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
1080 60 fps. I usually put a whole days games in one file and upload to YouTube. They take forever to process if I go higher even with a low end laptop workstation and a gigabit connection.
That's my experience too even on my home high speed network. When TB starts up again, I'm might experiment using my GP for only highlights in 4K.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That's my experience too even on my home high speed network. When TB starts up again, I'm might experiment using my GP for only highlights in 4K.
I'm about to record a game tomorrow using my new GoPro Hero 9. I've been advised to do 4K 60FPS, but it'll be 125 GB for a two hour game. I don't know how much of a difference there is between 1080P and 4K.

Sep 15, 2021
South Central WI
If you are streaming through GameChanger there is a button on the lower left-hand side of the screen that you just press to mute.
I was just planning on moving to Team Manager for the stream instead of Facebook to avoid the copyright issue. Do they interrupt the feed as well if they hear music?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I was just planning on moving to Team Manager for the stream instead of Facebook to avoid the copyright issue. Do they interrupt the feed as well if they hear music?
I have never had our streams stopped because of music, but the mute button does prevent that if it becomes an issue. One team we played a few weeks ago used walk-up songs for every batter, and they're still on my feed.

Apr 25, 2019
If you are streaming through GameChanger there is a button on the lower left-hand side of the screen that you just press to mute.

Naw, I stream on Facebook and cannot mute the audio. I can disable my mic in my phone's settings but as soon as I try to live stream it says that I have to enable my mic. I have resorted to taping up my mics on my phone and that will prevent music from farther away from being heard but not anything up close.

Aug 30, 2020
I originally made a pole clamp that was not very easy to use or install and took quite a bit of time to get right. It would also sag of time due to vibration. So, I had to come up with something that was adaptable, quick to install and sturdy enough to stay where I put it. I don't like the ones that hang on a fence because the fence shakes so much that it would invariably happen on a good play and the camera was shaking back and forth so much that I couldn't make out much on the video. I use my video for classroom time with my girls at the start of practices so clear video is important for us.

I came up with the door hinge mount because it is infinitely adjustable to almost any diameter and shape metal pole. I use simple Harbor Freight utility magnets with common machine screws. The one thing to pay attention to is the holes you use to install the magnets. They need to be in a straight line and parallel to each other. If you use the offset door screw holes, which are not straight and parallel, the magnets won't make similar contact with the pole and the mount will fall off the pole easily (learned that the hard way).

For the camera mount I just took the mount that the camera was attached to in its' original box, cut it out around the base, and filled it with JB Weld and a common 5/16-18 bolt. Then on the threaded end of that bolt, drilled and tapped a hole in the door hinge and use a jam nut to hold it in position. I have made other hinge mounts since that I just stuck the flat GoPro clip to the face of the hinge and they hold up fine, just need to make sure you get it straight because it won't be adjustable. I suggest four magnets, not 3 like the one in the picture.

The next issue I had to deal with was overheating camera's. Most GoPro users are likely familiar with the now infamous overheating habits of the Hero Black camera's. The Hero Silver models have rarely overheated on me, but my black will do it in a heart beat. I came up with a 3D Printed sun shade that I attach to the mount with a section of Loc-Line and a heavy paper clamp.

I usually use the GoPro goose neck when I have space or if I need to mount the base outside the fence and want to have the camera inside the fence. I've only had one umpire in 9 years think the camera was an obstruction and wanted me to keep it outside the fence. If I have to, I can remove the goose neck and mount the camera base directly to the hinge mount, making the whole assembly much smaller. I may also use the short setup if the wind is very high as it won't let the camera move at all. For the net backstops I keep a couple small bungie cords in the bucket to tie down the netting against the pole, then feed the goose neck through the netting. I always have as little of the camera system extended into the field, with the camera pressed back almost against the fencing or netting.

I normally have a USB extension cord run down the outside of the fence and plug the whole thing into a common external battery pack. If my battery pack is dead I can plug into my Ryobi battery powered 3D Printed blue tooth stereo bucket that has 2 USB charge ports specifically for my camera's or my phone.

GoPro Hinge Mounts.jpgGoPro Hinge Mounts 2.jpg
GoPro Mount Sun Shade.JPG
Stereo Bucket.JPGStereo Bucket Top Power On.JPGStereo Bucket Front.JPGStereo Bucket Left.JPGStereo Bucket Right.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802