Strangest thing an Umpire has said to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I had a field up tell me my daughters pitching style was illegal because her foot was not still in contact with the rubber at release.
I also had another field ump tell me that because of where he was standing he could not tell if my daughters front foot was touching the rubber at the start if her pitch (she backs her heal up to the front of the rubber) so since he couldn't tell if it was touching he would have to assume it wasn't. I said, "with al do respect I disagree, until you can see that it's not touching you have to assume it is". He made her put the back of her heal up on the rubber. I was not happy.

Jun 22, 2008
I had a field up tell me my daughters pitching style was illegal because her foot was not still in contact with the rubber at release.
I also had another field ump tell me that because of where he was standing he could not tell if my daughters front foot was touching the rubber at the start if her pitch (she backs her heal up to the front of the rubber) so since he couldn't tell if it was touching he would have to assume it wasn't. I said, "with al do respect I disagree, until you can see that it's not touching you have to assume it is". He made her put the back of her heal up on the rubber. I was not happy.

What rule set were you playing under?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Last year a close play at 2nd called the runner safe (He got it right, I thought she beat the throw), but I go out...
UMPIRE: Coach, she beat the throw
ME: I know, I have to make it look good in front of the girls though
UMPIRE: I can kick you out of the game
ME: No, we don't have to go that far... can I just kick dirt on your shoes?

At that point he had to turn away towards the outfield. His shoulders were moving so I guess he was laughing.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Not to me but to m catcher last night at 10U rec -
Catcher - Blue what's the count
Blue - Just play the game

WTF? I mean seriously how does blue make that response. But that's what you get sometimes with an all volunteer umpire force. He was very inexperienced.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
Umpire at 16-18 Babe Ruth calls ball down left field line fair... dgfred questions him.

He says ball fair because he saw chalk fly up. dgfred informs him lines are painted. ;)

Still will not change call and informs dgfred if he says one more word he will be thrown from game.

dgfred laughs out loud at him.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We were playing in a tournament on turf fields and it had been raining a bit. So you can imagine those fields were a little slick and of course the ball tends to squirt when it hits the field. DD was playing catcher and the pitcher kept on throwing it low and DD missed a few hitting the ump in the shin. He tells her, If you can't get those balls, you don't deserve to be out here. This was 12U! DD was crying behind her mask and I asked her what is going on? Needless to say I wasn't too pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy