Strangest thing an Umpire has said to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
To piggyback off of another thread, what is the strangest thing an Umpire has said to you? This year, after watching my dd get called out on a pitch about 24 inches outside, I went behind the plate to take some pictures. I had never said a word to the Umpire and there is no way he could know that this young lady hitting was my dd. As I have mentioned before, I sit in a chair and keep my mouth shut during games. Anyway, the Umpire turns around, looks at me and says, "If you take (snap) that picture, I'm going to throw you out of this park!"

I have had a lot of other examples but wanted to hear what others have experienced both good and bad.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wow. When I get to be JUST a parent (not on the field, in the dugout, or running the book), I tend to move around and take pics from different places, including behind home plate.

Running the book, there have been numerous times where I've had extended conversations with umps, but it's always been friendly.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
We were playing in a friendly a few weeks back. As I'm walking past plate to coach 3rd the ump asks me to take a pick with him and the catcher on his phone.

Jun 11, 2013
At first I thought I heard it wrong then I got a funny look and he said he does it before every game as a record. He was a younger ump (maybe 22).

Apr 28, 2014
We were playing in a friendly a few weeks back. As I'm walking past plate to coach 3rd the ump asks me to take a pick with him and the catcher on his phone.

Call me crazy but that's a little creepy.
I had an ump last week at a Rec game ask me if he wanted to give my DD a rec strike zone or a travel zone. She's plays travel and the other pitcher is just starting out. I told him to give her a travel zone. He squeezed her a bit :D
All good. He called the game fair just kept her zone a little tighter.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I had an umpire once tell me that he would bet his 2 military retirement checks that he knew the rule, and that I was wrong. He went and got the UIC. They talked for a moment, and he came back pretty agitated. He came back on the field and told me not to talk to him anymore. As I was walking away I asked him when he would be mailing me checks...Didn't go over well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12