Proper etiquette for giving an umpire notes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm sure the knee-jerk reaction to the title is "Never give an umpire notes!" But let me explain the situation.

I helped get a former student/baseball player at our school into umpiring last summer, and he's registered with our state association this year. I'm giving him a bunch of our JV games this year to help him get experience. He is solo for those games (reminder: Our JV is a very low level of play... like 12u, maybe even 10u in some places). I also have him working with an experienced partner for some of our baseball games. I am notifying the schools for the baseball games of the conflict of interest. I do not have him umping any of our varsity softball games because his sister is on my team.

So this is not a normal case of wanting to tell an ump that he's wrong. He's young, he's new, and I know him personally outside of the coach/umpire relationship. We didn't have a varsity game today, so I was able to attend the JV game. He called a pretty good game, but he did get a couple rules issues wrong. I didn't say anything to him today for a couple reasons: I'm not interested in getting into it with him on the field, and I didn't want to overstep my JV coach.

What's the best way to let him know about the couple of issues he had? My intention is entirely to help him get better, and I do think he will appreciate that. I'm thinking I should not do it before/during/after one of the games he's working. I should do it either via email or in person when I just happen to see him around. Any thoughts?

By the way, the two rules he got wrong: The other team had a batter that would repeatedly step on/in front of the plate on swings, and he just gave her a strike instead of calling her out. The other was calling a batter out for slinging the bat instead of restricting to the bench.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For stuff like this I like a personal conversation. Before or after game you can get away from the parents and players. I personally would not send an Email.

Jan 22, 2011
If you known him, it's fine giving feedback. Just make sure it's in an environment where the other team doesn't see you talking to him.

We need all the good umps we can get and definitely need to make sure they know the rules.

May 29, 2015
First, good for you for getting this young guy going! We need more students (boys and girls!) doing this!

Second, I'm going to be hyperbolic for a moment: working solo when you are first starting is not getting much experience. (It is, but not really when you don't have any source for feedback.)

Third, (and to your point) given the circumstances, I would encourage you to do a postgame with him each game. The whole point of this is to provide him feedback and get him experience ... he won't get this if you don't give him prompt feedback.

Fourth, make sure your corrections are correct. Neither one is. For a carelessly thrown bat there is a team warning and then ejections. Restrictions are not an option here (but neither was calling an out). Technically, restrictions can only be done for coaches and illegal substitutes (although, the section on written warnings implies that may not be true).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
By the way, the two rules he got wrong: The other team had a batter that would repeatedly step on/in front of the plate on swings, and he just gave her a strike instead of calling her out. The other was calling a batter out for slinging the bat instead of restricting to the bench.

1) Stepping outside the box is an out ONLY if they make contact with the ball. Otherwise it is just a strike if they swing or whatever call you need to make on a non-swing.
2) There is no rule against slinging the bat unless it is deemed that the action is dangerous. Only then can you issue a team warning and then next instance is an ejection.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
One of the biggest sources of incorrect rules knowledge is, unfortunately, someone who “knows more” trying to help someone new. My recommendation- if you are going to give feedback don’t tell him what mistakes you saw. Instead, bring up the situation, ask him what he saw, ask him what he thought the rule was, and then together get in the rule book and and case book and see what the correct ruling is. That way, he will learn the good habit of gaining knowledge from the correct source, and as a side benefit you will likely learn quite a bit also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
As a few have said - make sure you get the rule right. I assume he has a Rules Book (e-versions are much better for searching)? Or google it.

If it were me, I'd point out what you think he got wrong and then have him look it up and come back and tell you what the right answer is.

Also, if I talked to him afterward, ask him what he thought he did well and what he thought he didn't do well and what he wasn't sure of. Then point out what you saw.

Finally, I'd have him stick around and watch umpires at the Varsity level. I learned a bunch from that. Not everyone is great, but if you watch enough, you'll get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Jan 30, 2019
Some have mentioned that the throwing the bat is a warnable offence with ejections to follow. Since the OP mentioned JV games, NFHS rules should apply. I could be missing something in the book, so please point me in the right direction if I am. But the only instance I could find in the NFHS rule book about a thrown bat is Rule 7-4 Art 14 "The batter throws the bat and interferes with a defensive player attempting a play. Note: If the bat breaks and a portion is hit by the ball or hits a runner or fielder, no infraction has occurred. Penalty: The ball is dead immediately. [Batter is out] Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference." I added the Batter is out as Rule 7-4 is titled "Batter is Out" and emphasis.

By reading this rule it seems to me that it is an out and only if it interferes with a chance for a play. That said if the batter intentionally threw the bat at someone then I would also apply Rule 10-1 Art 5 and eject the offender.

USA has similar wording: Batter is out for discarding the bat in a manner that interferes with the defensive's ability to make a play.

NCAA does have a warning, but only if the thrown bat endangers anyone not making a play on the ball. First, offence is team warning, all other offences is delayed dead ball, with a choice of the play or batter out and runners return.

Again, I could be missing something so please point me int the right direction if I am.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478