Stepping Across Power Line

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
If she is missing inside it has nothing to do with stepping across the power line.

Maybe, maybe not? Most PC's teach that in order to throw inside (RHP), you adjust your stride plant slightly to the right of the powerline and to go outside, you step slightly to the left of the powerline. The argument is that you keep everything else in the windmill mechanics the same. If this was the way his DD was taught, then yes, if she strides to the right she will be missing to the inside.

At lessons, DD pitches from a mat with a powerline and PC will put down some colored electrical tape on the spot she wants DD stride foot to land. You might try this, mark the spot where she should be landing and check her foot after each pitch. This should be an easy fix.

Sting Ray - FYI, doing wall drills won't help this IMO.

Nov 22, 2012
Perhaps some readjusting of the foot on the rubber sideways is happening to get that position/result. And what is the foot position on landing? Fix the push off to one placement (OK to have an angle but not a readjusted further angle), and correct the landing to 45 degrees.

Most kids find that crossing over position very uncomfortable otherwise. Yeah, you can step that way and throw inside, but stepping to the left can cause it, too; oh yeah most righties throw inside when they are learning (for many reasons). We don't use those boards because it does not promote putting the other foot down properly, unless you are throwing a rise.

Her push off foot stays straight, but that used to be a problem she had. She used to turn her foot drastically before pushing off. after a few weeks of pitching using the power push, she fixed it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm not sure that forcing the foot to do something is the cure and without seeing the big picture, I would be very hesitant to give/take advice. I think that in some cases, we see things like this, turning the plant foot or glove swim and attempt to treat it as THE problem, when it may be a symptom of something else.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If she is missing inside it has nothing to do with stepping across the power line. There are other issues at play. Really need a vid. If I had to guess I would look at the hips,

I agree with KenB that there could be other things involved. Without video, the experts here can only guess. I am not an expert, but if I had to guess I would look at the hips like BP is suggesting. Some people focus too much on opening and closing the hips, IMO. I prefer a focus on the push/drive and allow the hips to move naturally. Don't force them to open or close, they will do that on their own.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Stepping across the line in younger pitchers is often symptomatic of a weak drive. The linear force that a good drive uses will often offset the directional swing of the stride leg... as it's path is out and then in. If the pitcher is just stepping or has a weak drive, the aforementioned momentum will at times win out. You really see this in step style drills... that require you to start partially closed... and then step onto a line... as the directional force of that step is inward.

However, like Ken says... it's sorta difficult to see the picture, when it's just a radio broadcast... ;)

May 10, 2013
FFS, do you have more clips of that DGillis' video? Like to hear/see more of his analysis on pitching...
Thanks in advance...

Nov 22, 2012
Again guys, I know what the problem is, just looking for creative things to use to fix it. Thanks for all of the replies but a lot of this is WAY beyond what I'm looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805