Stepping Across Power Line

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Again guys, I know what the problem is, just looking for creative things to use to fix it. Thanks for all of the replies but a lot of this is WAY beyond what I'm looking for.

Sting, when I am working with my DD on her drive mechanics, I will have her go through the pitch with out a ball so that she can focus on what it is we are trying to correct. After she is able to do it w/o the ball, we then will do a pitch with the ball, then a few w/o, and steadily increase the number pitched with the ball. If I notice old habits creeping in we reset and repeat the entire process.

I have also found showing DD before and after video using my phone and/or coaches eye in slow motion help her to visualize the change we are trying to achieve.

Nov 22, 2012
Sting, when I am working with my DD on her drive mechanics, I will have her go through the pitch with out a ball so that she can focus on what it is we are trying to correct. After she is able to do it w/o the ball, we then will do a pitch with the ball, then a few w/o, and steadily increase the number pitched with the ball. If I notice old habits creeping in we reset and repeat the entire process.

I have also found showing DD before and after video using my phone and/or coaches eye in slow motion help her to visualize the change we are trying to achieve.

Thats a great idea, I've used that same idea in the past with hitting and throwing, but never even thought to do it with pitching. It makes 100% sense!!! Thank you very much!

Mar 12, 2009
Great idea, thanks.

No need for video I already know whe is stepping over the line. Just looking for creative solutions on how to fix it. Thanks though.

Again, no need for a vid. she is stepping over the line. And stepping over the line has a LOT to do with pitchig inside. However, you are correct, The hips aren't coming through because she is stepping over the line, which locks her hips and prevents them from closing enough, because she steps over the line and is too open. I appreciate your reply though. Thank you.

I'm not sure I agree with the bold. It seems to me a pitcher will throw inside more due to the hips closing too much too early.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Again guys, I know what the problem is, just looking for creative things to use to fix it. Thanks for all of the replies but a lot of this is WAY beyond what I'm looking for.

Then you may be looking to put a bandaid on something that could be completely unrelated. Some very good PC's and experienced bucket parents have asked for video to better understand what is going on. Again, without knowing the big picture, I would be hesitant, if not very resistant in protecting my DD from random advice to a general description of a symptom.

The body does not like to operate in isolated systems. It does what it needs to do to keep things in balance. Creating an environment (or series of movements) that puts the various parts into a sequence, results it the various parts behaving in specific mannerisms. Disrupting one movement will generally disrupt the whole.

Do what you think is best, but realize that sometimes a symptom itself can be treated, but may not cure the problem. Likewise, changing one thing may correct the whole. I don't believe this will be the answer in your case.

Ken

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Just doing K or T drills? Or full out motion?

I use a 1x4. K drill-Circle K and 1/2 step on the board.

At full pitch the board lays alongside whatever the issue is, stepping too far to the left or right.
Stepping to far to the right, have it lay alongside the right side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805