34 -9 Demarini CF, 34-10 FNX, 34-10 Louisville Meta-X comparo..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Demarini has cancelled the FNX from their line, so I've been trying to find another bat for my DD to swing. Seemed like a good oportunity to buy some bats and see if anything stuck with DD. The reason for the CF in 34 -9 instead of 34-10 was that all of the -10's were sold out when I purchased it. My reasoning for the purchase was that the CF is labeled as a balanced bat and the FNX is known as end loaded (but Demarini calls it Power Loaded). I've commented before how the balance point of the bat is not where many people would consider end-loaded.

Anyway, brought the new bats plus her old bat down to the cages for some swings. It was interesting, she would take 3 or so swings with a bat and then switch. We'd keep going until she was confident in removing one bat and continue. This went on until there was a winner. (we did not do exit velos, just what felt right for her swing)

Shocker, she went with the brand new but discontinued FNX. I'm sure there was a bias, so I wanted to see the balance points for the bats to see if it correlated with how they felt (to her).

For clarity, I balance all of the bats on a cylindrical object and marked the center of mass. I lined up all of the center of masses and took a picture. I then used MS Paint to draw a single line across all of the bats. The last step was photo-shopping the bats so that they'd line up to show the differences in balance points.
PXL_20211219_204639414.jpg

From looking at this pic, I'm not at all surprised that Demarini got rid of the FNX. It looks to me that all the FNX is is a CF barrel with a STOUT connection. (I'm inferring this because the -9 is very slightly more end loaded than the FNX). I bet the FNX handle and connection are heavier, bringing the balance point towards the handle more.

I think my DD likes the light swing feel of the FNX. She's a power hitter, so I'm a little surprised at her not liking the more end loaded feel of the Meta-X.

Lastly, I'm surprised that the Meta-X (marketed as a balanced bat) has the balance point out so much further than the FNX... Weird

Anyone want to buy either the CF or the Meta-X? CF has only this one cage day (maybe 30ish swings) and the Meta-X has been used for 2 batting sessions, still basically brand new. I'll sell them for WAY below retail, maybe $150 each?? The meta had more swings because **I** really wanted her to switch to it.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Demarini has cancelled the FNX from their line, so I've been trying to find another bat for my DD to swing. Seemed like a good oportunity to buy some bats and see if anything stuck with DD. The reason for the CF in 34 -9 instead of 34-10 was that all of the -10's were sold out when I purchased it. My reasoning for the purchase was that the CF is labeled as a balanced bat and the FNX is known as end loaded (but Demarini calls it Power Loaded). I've commented before how the balance point of the bat is not where many people would consider end-loaded.

Anyway, brought the new bats plus her old bat down to the cages for some swings. It was interesting, she would take 3 or so swings with a bat and then switch. We'd keep going until she was confident in removing one bat and continue. This went on until there was a winner. (we did not do exit velos, just what felt right for her swing)

Shocker, she went with the brand new but discontinued FNX. I'm sure there was a bias, so I wanted to see the balance points for the bats to see if it correlated with how they felt (to her).

For clarity, I balance all of the bats on a cylindrical object and marked the center of mass. I lined up all of the center of masses and took a picture. I then used MS Paint to draw a single line across all of the bats. The last step was photo-shopping the bats so that they'd line up to show the differences in balance points.
View attachment 24711

From looking at this pic, I'm not at all surprised that Demarini got rid of the FNX. It looks to me that all the FNX is is a CF barrel with a STOUT connection. (I'm inferring this because the -9 is very slightly more end loaded than the FNX). I bet the FNX handle and connection are heavier, bringing the balance point towards the handle more.

I think my DD likes the light swing feel of the FNX. She's a power hitter, so I'm a little surprised at her not liking the more end loaded feel of the Meta-X.

Lastly, I'm surprised that the Meta-X (marketed as a balanced bat) has the balance point out so much further than the FNX... Weird

Anyone want to buy either the CF or the Meta-X? CF has only this one cage day (maybe 30ish swings) and the Meta-X has been used for 2 batting sessions, still basically brand new. I'll sell them for WAY below retail, maybe $150 each?? The meta had more swings because **I** really wanted her to switch to it.

View attachment 24711

My daughter loves her 2020 32/22 FNX. She didn't like the 33/23 version.

The reason it was discontinued was one some reason: lack of sales. The 2021 version of the FNX sold a whopping 40 units at my store. The 2021 CF sold 1,500. Too many girls dislike the stiff connection, hence the reason so many use the Ghost now. These girls will never know the joy of the sting of a jam shot in late March off an old school baseball bat.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I was thinking that the farther out the balance point the more balanced (less end loaded) the bat? But what do I know?
Hmm, to me the further the center of mass from the handle, the more the load is at the end? Don't know what the official lingo is. Physics wise, the bat that has the center of mass closest to the handle will swing easier, but transfer less energy to the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802