SS taking throws from catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Ah, see I taught my middle infielders to not do anything until the ball crosses the plate. Are you saying that you have them break for a throwdown early? On the pitch after the catcher signals, or what?

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ah, see I taught my middle infielders to not do anything until the ball crosses the plate. Are you saying that you have them break for a throwdown early? On the pitch after the catcher signals, or what?

-W

Runner goes, catcher throws. 2B or SS have to cheat or break just early enough so they're there in time to catch the throw. When that is will vary with their speed and the catcher's pop time.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
The reason for 2nd covering has a lot to do with the fact that at the older levels, the runners get faster, the throws get to the base faster, and the hitters get better. If the SS always covers, the batter will try to put the ball into the hole at short. The SS can't play deep and cover 2nd without vacating their position early. It's easier for 2nd to cheat up the middle a little, so they can beat the throw. Teams that do this also usually have the pitcher cover the 1st base side on a bunt, and 1st stays back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan