Video pitching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
I've looked at PG trainers, but the nearest one is over 150 miles away, and it requires me to drive through NYC.
Well then I guess you just have to become one yourself, lol. That's what I had to do. It's sad the lack of quality and/or affordable instruction out there. I understand why the expensive coaches charge what they do. Even as a relative newbie to the business, I'll tell you it becomes a "real" job quickly when you actually put the time in to help each student and plan lessons for them.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I want to start this thread by saying I have been very opposed to taking lessons over video for a long time. The problem is I need to change instructors for my daughter, and there is no one within driving distance that I'd consider to be what my daughter needs. Her existing trainer is a great person and teacher, but we've reached a point where she's too comfortable and needs someone more invested in video analysis and a weekly plan.

Has anyone had success with video lessons? I know it's logistically very difficult, and I'd rather see someone in person, but driving three hours each way through NYC is not practical.

Your thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated.

My daughter goes to Jonathan Hon. I have seen Hon doing video lessons many times when we show up early for warmups before my daughter starts her in person lesson.

It would be difficult to find another pitching instructor sending as many pitchers to top level college programs as Hon is. He has instructed multiple girls that are at Oklahoma or currently committed to Oklahoma. Also has girls at or committed to FSU, Florida, Stanford, Michigan St, Washington, etc.

Send me a pm if you want his contact info. His in person lesson are out of Homer Glen, Illinois. Which is about 45 minutes south of Chicago.

May 13, 2023
I want to start this thread by saying I have been very opposed to taking lessons over video for a long time. The problem is I need to change instructors for my daughter, and there is no one within driving distance that I'd consider to be what my daughter needs. Her existing trainer is a great person and teacher, but we've reached a point where she's too comfortable and needs someone more invested in video analysis and a weekly plan.

Has anyone had success with video lessons? I know it's logistically very difficult, and I'd rather see someone in person, but driving three hours each way through NYC is not practical.

How many instructors have you reached out to to see if they would do video lessons? It seems that if you're going to be using internet and video you could use any instructor Across the Nation. There has to be a percentage that will.

* I understand the search for a Quality instructor of you and daughters liking is important! Mechanics, personality and communication.

Quick Google searching there are tons of instructors. Seems there will be some time involved Filtering through what mechanics you see they teach and go from there to start sending out emails and contacting.

My suggestion if there are some quality pitchers you already see say playing in college, and you like the results...
perhaps seek out what instructors they have used to help filter finding the instructor. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How many instructors have you reached out to to see if they would do video lessons? It seems that if you're going to be using internet and video you could use any instructor Across the Nation. There has to be a percentage that will.

* I understand the search for a Quality instructor of you and daughters liking is important! Mechanics, personality and communication.

Quick Google searching there are tons of instructors. Seems there will be some time involved Filtering through what mechanics you see they teach and go from there to start sending out emails and contacting.

My suggestion if there are some quality pitchers you already see say playing in college, and you like the results...
perhaps seek out what instructors they have used to help filter finding the instructor. 🤷‍♀️
It's needing not only someone who can do video lessons competently. It's also someone who will incorporate video into the lesson, i.e. how they teach and review the lesson.

I've gotten some good insight from some members on the page. Thanks for the help.

Aug 9, 2021

PM inbound.

Posting to see the responses.

May 17, 2023
My sense from Twitter is that Jillian Stephens from Fastpitch Power offers video lessons and she has developed at least a small stable of very accomplished pitchers (e.g., one recently committing to U of GA). Might be worth a look. Some have dragged Fastpitch Power on these boards over time, but I’ve always thought that what they taught was sound (certainly relative to what else is out there).

She has several students in the Midwest, so guessing most of those are done remotely since she is in NY I believe. I was recently told one of the pitchers she claims (who just committed to a P5 school) only sees her in-person once a year and then also works with a local guy some (he also claims her).

I think there is something lost in strictly video lessons, but if your in-person instructor isn't using video they are really missing the boat. No way the human eye can understand all that happens during the pitching motion without slowing it down IMO.

Jun 29, 2023
She does something similar with a girl by me. That girl has a local coach, but I don't think she sees him nearly as much as she works with Jillian. I don't mind listening to more than one coach. My daughter went to a new coach this week for the first time in her life. I thought she learned some good things.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
She does something similar with a girl by me. That girl has a local coach, but I don't think she sees him nearly as much as she works with Jillian. I don't mind listening to more than one coach. My daughter went to a new coach this week for the first time in her life. I thought she learned some good things.

Multiple coaches are fine if they're all teaching the same things. Different voices, different ways to reach the goal. I've seen it work firsthand. Just make sure the coaches aren't teaching contradictory mechanics.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Shout out to @Gambler Bob for hooking me up with his daughter's pitching coach, Jonathan Hon. He's been a breath of fresh air for my daughter, and just what she needed.

She finally let her former PC know she wasn't coming back last night. It was hard because she considered her a second Mom to her, but it needed to happen. I made her do it, not me. She understood, but was upset she couldn't get my daughter to the finish line.

Thanks again for all the input.

Oct 4, 2018
We have a Tincher instructor on Long Island, but I'm not sure if she employs video in her lessons. Can anyone speak to if they use video analysis in their lessons?

Our Tincher instructor often videos my DD on her phone, just to show her something she's doing. I don't really consider it analysis, but perhaps at times it gets to that level.

During Covid we did virtual hitting lessons and the instructor got really good at freezing the swing and overlaying lines and such. We thought it was super effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad