SS taking throws from catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2010
Anybody got any ideas or tips to help me with this. I have a SS that is a great player but for some reason is having a hard time with this.

Oct 10, 2010
Hi, your DD is the SS? I'm no expert, but I'd just get out and practice it with her. Set a bucket of balls beside you, pretend to be the catcher, have her start in the hole, yell "runner going" and make your best throw down to second, over and over.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The coach was working with DD (14U) on this exact skill this morning. DD traditionally has been a P/OF and they had her taking throws and applying tags today.

1. After reminding her for 4 years to"catch with 2 hands" they want her to catch, swipe and present the ball to the umpiure with a 1 handed catch.
2. She got the hang of it quickly, but it will take some time if she actually will be moved to a middle infield position.

Oct 18, 2009
My son had this problem too. He would be thinking about the runner coming, seeing them in the corner of his eye and miss the throw or bobble it. What I did was making him focus on catching the ball first then trying to tag.

I also teach the catcher to try and throw to a spot a little in front/right of 2B before the baseline so SS can just slap it down on the runner coming.

Nov 29, 2009
Anybody got any ideas or tips to help me with this. I have a SS that is a great player but for some reason is having a hard time with this.

I'm guessing she's having problems catching and applying the tag all in one motion while moving to the bag at a dead run. This is very difficult skill for a young player to master. There are sooooo many things going on at the same time.

Here is what I do with my kids to get them used to all the motion. The absolute #1 rule is the SS can't move until ball passes the hitter. Once they know the hitter hasn't put the ball in play they have to sprint to the base. The only exception would be for a pitch-out. However that is something that usually you can't introduce until they are older. The #2 rule is to stay on their feet. If they drop to a knee they are out of the play. The CF better be there backing up the play. #3 rule is to make the tag look like you got runner even if you know you missed her.

Start slow with the SS. Have her start about 10' from the base. Have a batter in the box swing and miss at a pitch. Now she'll know when to break to the base and what the catcher will be doing when they get rid of the ball. She'll be there ready for the throw from this distance. Work on lengthening the distance she has to move to get to the base so she learns the timing involved with the play. At this point I wouldn't worry too much about catching the ball. You want her to learn how to get there and more importantly where to go. She needs to be at the front of the base. Do all this without a runner.

Once she understand all the movement involved with the play it's time to add more. Now you start working catching with one hand and applying a sweep tag. The SS has to understand she DOES NOT have to stop the runner from getting to the base. She just has to beat her there with the ball. I see too many kids waste time trying to block the base and then apply the tag when all they have to do is apply the tag. The play at 2nd almost always be a bang-bang play and the SS does not have the time get setup to block the base. Work short hops, high throws, good throws and bad throws. A SS has to know when to bail on bad throw that is bringing them right into the runner for a collision. Better to give up the base for the next play instead of being carted off of the field.

Once the SS has confidence in the run, catch and tag aspects of the play it's time to bring in a runner. I used to incorporate this drill into sliding practice for the team. It gave the catchers, SS's, pitchers and everyone else the chance to work on all the skills needed to steal as well as defend against it.

It takes time to develop this skill so you have to keep working on it till the SS has absolute confidence in her ability to make the play in a quick and relaxed manner which is the whole key.

The attached picture shows why I don't want my SS on her knee or knees. The runner was safe on this play.

Attachments

• DSC01563.jpg
    DSC01563.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Ok, this may sound silly, but if you're working on the tag part, you can stand nearby and roll one of those large balance balls toward second to take the place of the runner. Your SS won't have to worry about getting hurt by or hurting the runner while she works on learning to make the sweep tag.

Dec 18, 2010
Ok, this may sound silly, but if you're working on the tag part, you can stand nearby and roll one of those large balance balls toward second to take the place of the runner. Your SS won't have to worry about getting hurt by or hurting the runner while she works on learning to make the sweep tag.

Our pitcher uses a balance ball to throw off of. We will try your suggestion the next time we work on throw downs. Also, we've noticed that the SS has to know the catchers throw. We've had both a right-hand and a left-hand catcher. We've noticed that the spin of the ball on a one hopper takes a different path on the hop depending on who threw it. Lefty's ball hops inside toward the SS side, the righty's hops toward 2B.

Jul 26, 2010
Not to bring up an old thread, but when do you make the transition to 2B taking the throw on a steal? I see most college teams covering this way, and I'm curious. I spent all winter working really hard with my catchers, and now the throw is beating out my short-stops by a fair margin (12u) The only way they can get there in time is if they cheat towards 2nd base, and I really, really, really want to avoid teaching them to do that.

Suggestions?

-W

Nov 1, 2009
As soon as you have a pitcher who can hit spots you can work on both middle infielders handling the throw down. The problem you may encounter is if you have your 2nd base covering the throw and the batter squares you may not have anyone at first. Practice all your situations and teach the what ifs as you go and you should be able to deal with this challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321