Squish the Bug Redux

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As you may recall, a parent and I had a disagreement about "dual bug squishing"--which is swinging the bat and squishing the bug with both feet.

At an 8U game last week, the other's teams coach told a kid to "squish the bug" while demonstrating proper squishing technique. At the plate, the player showed excellent squish-the-bug form. She never got close to hitting the ball, but she could squish like no other.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I can understand many people telling a young hitter to squish the bug. In all honesty, that is what it looks like many great hitters are doing when they swing. The great hitters aren't actually trying to squish the bug but squishing the bug is more of a by product of driving the rear leg.

To be fair. I don't think I have ever heard of dual bug squishing. I have never heard of a person telling someone to squish the bug with the front foot.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
As with most things in hitting, everything we were taught is backwards or destructive.

Good hitters actually do the opposite From bug squishing. They start with the back heel DOWN and keep it DOWN as long as possible.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
As with most things in hitting, everything we were taught is backwards or destructive.

Good hitters actually do the opposite From bug squishing. They start with the back heel DOWN and keep it DOWN as long as possible.

Why? That’s not a popular opinion is it? I don’t see the reasoning behind this ‘heel resistance’ Enlighten me please

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Why? That’s not a popular opinion is it? I don’t see the reasoning behind this ‘heel resistance’ Enlighten me please

You never want the heel planted. You should be able to slide a credit card underneath the heel easily throughout the setup, load and stretch.

What is happening is the back foot is the foundation of the joystick up above. You don’t turn the back foot as in squash the bug to destroy the very foundation needed very the body to work correctly. Edit: The foot is the foundation of our connection with the earth. The pressure felt is direct result of this connection. What happens underneath the foot and above creates this pressure.

I once thought the heel remained planted as long as possible. It has merit only the heel isn’t where the pressure should be focused.

IMG_5820.jpeg

Slide the credit card. This hitter hit 💣‘s.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What so many who teach squish the bug do not realize is that the hitter actually came up on their back toe before settling down back on the front of the foot.
FreemanTake.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad