Square-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Does anybody square up and get in front of ground balls anymore?Watching UCLA vs Zona and we just side step and reach for the balls. Nothing but errors.
That is why you put the ball in play and a batted ball is better than a strikeout. Human error, lack of fundamentals!!!

Apr 28, 2019
Yes, well, of course.

But a hard hit batted ball is better than either. Choking up and/or stance changes usually lead to strikeouts or weak grounders which are usually outs.
Key word USUALLY. Even the best players in the game make mistakes. I’ve seen many swinging bunts and planned bunts lead to singles.
There is no defense for a well executed drag bunt. Lost art. Everybody wants to slap.

Apr 28, 2019
Key word USUALLY. Even the best players in the game make mistakes. I’ve seen many swinging bunts and planned bunts lead to singles.
There is no defense for a well executed drag bunt. Lost art. Everybody wants to slap.
This was just lazy poor technique. Balls were hit fairly well but very playable. The outfielders are getting it done with some fine plays.

Jun 8, 2016
Does anybody square up and get in front of ground balls anymore?Watching UCLA vs Zona and we just side step and reach for the balls. Nothing but errors.
That is why you put the ball in play and a batted ball is better than a strikeout. Human error, lack of fundamentals!!!
Glove side or backhand side?

Jun 8, 2016
Not saying that this was the case, but sometimes a backhand is the right play even if you can get in front of it if you are going to be too off balance to make a strong throw if you do
get in front. In particular at SS..just saying.

Apr 28, 2019
Not saying that this was the case, but sometimes a backhand is the right play even if you can get in front of it if you are going to be too off balance to make a strong throw if you do
get in front. In particular at SS..just saying.
The two that stand out was backhand side ball under the glove. Gotta have the glove on the ground. Cardinal sin to let ball go under.
2nd was glove side at 3rd went over her glove. Could have should have moved her feet and squared-up.
Doesn’t really matter now Zona LF just dropped a ball and the Bruins are pulling away.

Jun 8, 2016
The two that stand out was backhand side ball under the glove. Gotta have the glove on the ground. Cardinal sin to let ball go under.
Right..doesn't mean backhand was the wrong play though..just bad execution. I ran into this last year with 9 year old (at that time 8 YO) DD playing SS. Coach kept yelling at her to get in front of balls she should be backhanding. She was making the right play but her backhand wasn't where it needed to be yet. This year it is better and she has made most of those plays and all of a sudden he stopped yelling at her about it ;)

Apr 28, 2019
Right..doesn't mean backhand was the wrong play though..just bad execution. I ran into this last year with 9 year old (at that time 8 YO) DD playing SS. Coach kept yelling at her to get in front of balls she should be backhanding. She was making the right play but her backhand wasn't where it needed to be yet. This year it is better and she has made most of those plays and all of a sudden he stopped yelling at her about it ;)
On hard hit balls it’s more of a reflex and you do whatever comes naturally. I hate that term yelling. Nobody should be yelling at anybody. Yelling implies punishment. Giving instruction is so much better.
Your right though it takes a lot of practice to master the backhand. Whenever possible still prefer to get in front of the ball.
I like when girls attack the ball on the ground. Move forward and field the ball on your terms. The longer the ball is on the ground the higher the likelihood of a bad hop. Play the ball don’t let the ball play you!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livosbo