Spring training for high school teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2021
My DD's New York HS is considering spring break travel opportunities for their spring season teams. They've never done this before, it is part of a larger effort to beef up athletics at her HS. The softball season is 11 weeks from first practice to playoffs, and two of those weeks are off for spring break. They played 9 games last season. A week at Disney WWOS at $3K - $3500K per person has been suggested for the second week of their spring break but no details have been given for consideration. What exactly can we expect from this experience? Is it just access to fields in a warmer climate for practices led by our HS coaches? If games are scheduled with other teams, do they consider skill level in pairings? How much time is spent on softball versus going to Disney parks and the pool? Her HS team is very low skill level, my DD plays travel ball and one other girl has played rec ball -- all others are either new to the sport or learned during middle school and many are not particularly athletic. Coaching is very elementary and they don't seem to know how to teach/break down technique. The team gets along very well (9-12 grades, no JV team, small school), they are nice girls that support each other, cheer, etc.
Is it worth it? What do similar teams do? Alternatives?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
If I were in your shoes, I would just simply tell the coach you are not interested in the spring trip. That is a lot of money, especially for the talent level of the team you are talking about.

There might be one High School softball team that does something similar to what you are describing. They take a spring break trip once every 4 years. I would consider the school I am talking about to be the best softball high school in Illinois. They had 10 Beverly Bandit players on the team this year. The cost of the trip is much less than the amount you estimated but it is not at Disney.

May 27, 2013
My DD's New York HS is considering spring break travel opportunities for their spring season teams. They've never done this before, it is part of a larger effort to beef up athletics at her HS. The softball season is 11 weeks from first practice to playoffs, and two of those weeks are off for spring break. They played 9 games last season. A week at Disney WWOS at $3K - $3500K per person has been suggested for the second week of their spring break but no details have been given for consideration. What exactly can we expect from this experience? Is it just access to fields in a warmer climate for practices led by our HS coaches? If games are scheduled with other teams, do they consider skill level in pairings? How much time is spent on softball versus going to Disney parks and the pool? Her HS team is very low skill level, my DD plays travel ball and one other girl has played rec ball -- all others are either new to the sport or learned during middle school and many are not particularly athletic. Coaching is very elementary and they don't seem to know how to teach/break down technique. The team gets along very well (9-12 grades, no JV team, small school), they are nice girls that support each other, cheer, etc.
Is it worth it? What do similar teams do? Alternatives?
DD’s HS team did Space Coast in FL her freshman year and WWOS her sophomore year. That is a crazy high price for that trip!! When dd went to WWOS it was $1685 per player for 5 days which included the flights, hotel, a meal plan, and a 3-day Disney Park pass! I believe they also played 6 games while we were there (2 games per day minus flight days). Our team did not do practice days. They did the parks in the evening. This was in 2019, though.

I also believe the coach gets a choice in competition level because I do recall there being JV-level teams there, as well.

When we were there DD’s team faced a pitcher who was a Texas recruit - that was a fun game! ?‍? But yes, I’d say for the most part they try to match you with the competition level that your coach believes you are.

DD still talks about that trip and how it was the best team-bonding experience she’s ever had. It was her favorite trip.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I would never ask my HS parents to pay for something like this.
Affluence varies from district to district so I think those are wonderful opportunities for those who can do it. As for the softball families I am around in my area, I would never propose anything like this because I wouldn't want to put anybody in a position where they feel they have to make this happen for their kid when it may be too much of a financial burden. Nobody wants their kid to feel left out or that they were responsible for a trip not working out for everyone else. Emotional responses can cloud sound judgement.

May 27, 2013
Affluence varies from district to district so I think those are wonderful opportunities for those who can do it. As for the softball families I am around in my area, I would never propose anything like this because I wouldn't want to put anybody in a position where they feel they have to make this happen for their kid when it may be too much of a financial burden. Nobody wants their kid to feel left out or that they were responsible for a trip not working out for everyone else. Emotional responses can cloud sound judgement.
Agreed. Dd went to a private school and the trip was optional. It did not affect the girls’ playing time at all if they could not go (I think they all did). I do believe there was money set aside for kids who needed financial assistance.

That being said - a few public schools in my area (from various socioeconomic backgrounds) also did the trip. I don’t know if there was fundraising involved which may have offset some of the cost.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
My DD's New York HS is considering spring break travel opportunities for their spring season teams.

They've never done this before, it is part of a larger effort to beef up athletics at her HS.
?? Effort ✔️ best part!

As with any opportunity they come up with there will probably be some pros and cons.
Best scenario they are paying attention to the community they are creating this for and it will be a good fit for the majority of people!

Apr 1, 2017
Our school did a spring break trip like that this year. Not sure about cost (my daughters graduated last year). They didn't do the Disney thing. Went to Clearwater Beach area. Looking at gamechanger, I think they just played 4 local teams throughout the week (not a tournament), and had some team beach time during off-days.

Dec 19, 2021
T
The softball season is 11 weeks from first practice to playoffs, and two of those weeks are off for spring break. They played 9 games last season.
When I hear stuff like this I am reminded of how blessed we are. In four years DD had one game get delayed (mid-game for lightning) and they finished it the next day.

They do two early-season tourneys every year, but there is so much local competition, there is no need to travel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831