Pool Play where 25% of game were played on field set up with 70' Bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
The ball travels significantly faster than the runner is running. Even if you have some weak-armed catcher who throws 30 mph, that's still likely more than twice the speed most runners.

That is true. But we still have stolen bases and runners thrown out in baseball on 90' bases* (yes, they can lead off, which cuts the run down to about 80'). I think the players would adjust.

I guess the question would be to look at the percentages of stolen bases/caught stealing.

*Although MLB just tweaked the bases and added a few inches to encourage more stolen bases.

Jan 25, 2022
That is true. But we still have stolen bases and runners thrown out in baseball on 90' bases* (yes, they can lead off, which cuts the run down to about 80'). I think the players would adjust.

I guess the question would be to look at the percentages of stolen bases/caught stealing.

*Although MLB just tweaked the bases and added a few inches to encourage more stolen bases.

Also gotta consider that in baseball a runner can take off during the windup/motion. Hence why pitchers don't normally do a full windup with a runner on base.

Dec 6, 2019
Every field my kids ever play on, the first thing I do is check the relationship of the pitcher's plate to the imaginary line between first and third bases. If things aren't where they're supposed to be, I let our coach know. Seen way too many screw-ups over the years.

Sep 19, 2018
We played a friendly last fall where the pitcher was pitching from the 12yo baseball mound. I asked (knowing the answer was 46 feet) and was told that this was the correct distance. Even if was the correct distance, pitching from a mound made it difficult on the pitchers for sure.

Jan 25, 2022
We played a friendly last fall where the pitcher was pitching from the 12yo baseball mound. I asked (knowing the answer was 46 feet) and was told that this was the correct distance. Even if was the correct distance, pitching from a mound made it difficult on the pitchers for sure.

But it's great for developing that front side resistance..hahaha.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I think 70' bases would almost completely eliminate stealing bases, especially at 14u level and up. Pretty much make slappers non existent. Bunting for a hit would become much more difficult. The outfield would get even smaller since your infield would be positioned deeper.
I was thinking the opposite for slappers, sure they have to run 10 extra feet, but the defense will be deeper. A lazy 2 hopper to the SS is a tough play with a fast runner.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I was thinking the opposite for slappers, sure they have to run 10 extra feet, but the defense will be deeper. A lazy 2 hopper to the SS is a tough play with a fast runner.
That is not the effect that happens when you make the bases 10 feet further. That makes very little sense. Shortstop throw 60+ miles per hour, let me know when a slapper starts running 60 mph then we can discuss your theory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414