Softball is not Everything.....but

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
Is there something wrong with me? Or is there something wrong with them?

My friend and his daughter are having a hard time accepting her place on a new team that she has moved up to. I advised them to go hard and not allow anyone, coaches, etc., to paint a picture of you that's not true. Keep working at your game, seek out opportunities to play and improve, and use the underdog status to your advantage. You now have a goal to work toward while others are resting on their laurels.

My friend, who never played organized sports, reportedly told his daughter that "Softball is not Everything" and seems resigned to their fate and position. When I heard this, I was taken aback, like Wow, that's your advice. Is this a teachable moment possibly lost or am I an overzealous Softball Dad.

I believe we have the opportunity to teach our girls life lessons such as the value/results of hardwork, preparation, perseverance, and believing in oneself - when all others doubt you. Ultimately, the things that help shape the human beings that they can and will become.

So no, Softball is not Everything.....but maybe Everything is Softball. If you get the deeper lessons of Softball, you just might get some of the most valuable lessons of your life - IMO.

Until one knows something more about this girl and her father, one has no real way of knowing whether that attitude is shortchanging his daughter or not. Perhaps the child is expressing reservations about playing the game. Would it be better for the father to tell the daughter that unless she works her hardest and becomes the best softball player she can possibly be, she will be missing something in life? Perhaps that works with some children, but perhaps, that would #1. make her dislike softball even more and #2. put an unfair amount of stress on a child. Perhaps she has expressed a desire to take up an instrument or study a language or do one of the million other things kids want to do. What does dad do there? Tell her that while those things may be important she still needs to dedicate herself 100% to improving her game? What message does that send to the child about her worth to her father?

I would agree that if the child proclaims to love the game and is just pouting or not willing to put in the work to reach HER goals in the game, dad owes it to her to serve a big portion of tough love and tell her that she's got to quit moping, work her butt off, and see what happens. If something else is going on, I feel dad needs to make sure she lives up to her commitment for the current season and then be supportive of his daughter in what SHE wants to do. If it's not softball...well, softball isn't everything.

I really think that some of these softball girls are being shortchanged in life by their over dedication to the game. Some of these girls are playing year round from age 8 until they either burnout, flame out, or finish college. They practice with a team two, three, four times a week; take lessons when not practicing; then play in tournaments most weekends; go to camps on the weekends they don't play, etc. They are encouraged and expected to replicate movements of some of the greatest athletes in the world and are made to believe that unless they can do so they aren't fulfilling their potential. They sacrifice a lot of what other kids get to do in order to pursue a game that really has insignificant return for the investment made. I can't help but wonder if some of those girls won't grow up and wonder where the hell their childhood went.

My $.02.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So would it be possible to get a video of her best movement pitch?
The contention I have is that like the pitcher I refer to the only limitation I see in shorter pitchers IS the limited break on pitches

Breaking pitches are thrown with footwork and wrist snap, so not sure if height provides much of an advantage, other than taller players probably also have longer fingers.....tall pitchers have a advantage in arm radius and leg length, which provide more "whip" and longer strides towards the plate, which both benefit speed.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I believe we have the opportunity to teach our girls life lessons such as the value/results of hardwork, preparation, perseverance, and believing in oneself - when all others doubt you.

You sound a little condescending.

All athletes quit. The only question is when. Some quit earlier than others. Is it time for this young lady to hang up the cleats? I don't know...but, surely her parents and her are in a much better position to make that judgment than the rest of us.

The sports mythology is "Hard work and dedication will lead to athletic excellence." It is a nice fairy tale, but that is all it is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516