Softball is not Everything.....but

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Is there something wrong with me? Or is there something wrong with them?

My friend and his daughter are having a hard time accepting her place on a new team that she has moved up to. I advised them to go hard and not allow anyone, coaches, etc., to paint a picture of you that's not true. Keep working at your game, seek out opportunities to play and improve, and use the underdog status to your advantage. You now have a goal to work toward while others are resting on their laurels.

My friend, who never played organized sports, reportedly told his daughter that "Softball is not Everything" and seems resigned to their fate and position. When I heard this, I was taken aback, like Wow, that's your advice. Is this a teachable moment possibly lost or am I an overzealous Softball Dad.

I believe we have the opportunity to teach our girls life lessons such as the value/results of hardwork, preparation, perseverance, and believing in oneself - when all others doubt you. Ultimately, the things that help shape the human beings that they can and will become.

So no, Softball is not Everything.....but maybe Everything is Softball. If you get the deeper lessons of Softball, you just might get some of the most valuable lessons of your life - IMO.

Dec 7, 2011
Is there something wrong with me? Or is there something wrong with them?

My friend and his daughter are having a hard time accepting her place on a new team that she has moved up to. I advised them to go hard and not allow anyone, coaches, etc., to paint a picture of you that's not true. Keep working at your game, seek out opportunities to play and improve, and use the underdog status to your advantage. You now have a goal to work toward while others are resting on their laurels.

My friend, who never played organized sports, reportedly told his daughter that "Softball is not Everything" and seems resigned to their fate and position. When I heard this, I was taken aback, like Wow, that's your advice. Is this a teachable moment possibly lost or am I an overzealous Softball Dad.

I believe we have the opportunity to teach our girls life lessons such as the value/results of hardwork, preparation, perseverance, and believing in oneself - when all others doubt you. Ultimately, the things that help shape the human beings that they can and will become.

So no, Softball is not Everything.....but maybe Everything is Softball. If you get the deeper lessons of Softball, you just might get some of the most valuable lessons of your life - IMO.

Agree -

Here I would say that my DD has gained more life-learning from TB than she has from any other thing in life. I wish I could go back again and try to force my other kids into "something" like TB that requires such comittment that provides such a spectrum of situations to handle.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Softball is not everything. Life is full of teachable moments. Sometimes you have to pick and chose them. Unless you are walking in someones shoes, you can't possibly know if they are missing an opportunity or if they have taken a different one.

Dec 7, 2011
We were talking about this last night, our 2 11yo DDs play a couple different sports together, both our DDs are smallish. He said his DD is not going to be able to play any sports in HS anyways so she should enjoy it now, when I told him my DD might make a run at the softball team he looked at me like I was crazy.

I agree with him that basketball and volleyball would be almost impossible to make the teams, it is hard to teach height and size,. Softball they want the bigger players and they have an advantage but I have no doubt DD would at least be in the conversation if she works her butt off before the tryouts. I told him I was going to ask DD next year what she wanted to do, if she wants to make a run at it she is going to have to work hard for 2 years but I think she can make it.

I do not know if this is related but DD has all the SB skills to play at a higher level except for pitching and she likes to pitch. She doesn’t work on it never enough but would rather play down and pitch then play up and not pitch.

DD had a TB teammate that signed with Georgetown (the school of her dreams). She is maybe 5'5" but worked her backside off to hit 60, get great grades, and get scary in shape while at it.Real story of a vertically challenged pitcher that was not going to be told she had a limitation.

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
bigger is not always better. Our starting varsity pitcher is 5'2'' 120 maybe, throws right at 60 (yes on the gun many times) has 4 movement pitches, that really move. She throws with IR and really uses everything she's got. they are undefeated so far this year. She has worked her butt off to be at this level. I use her as an example to my small dd to let her see it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. By the way both are 14

Dec 7, 2011
bigger is not always better. Our starting varsity pitcher is 5'2'' 120 maybe, throws right at 60 (yes on the gun many times) has 4 movement pitches, that really move. She throws with IR and really uses everything she's got. they are undefeated so far this year. She has worked her butt off to be at this level. I use her as an example to my small dd to let her see it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. By the way both are 14
So would it be possible to get a video of her best movement pitch?
The contention I have is that like the pitcher I refer to the only limitation I see in shorter pitchers IS the limited break on pitches

Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
RB- Not walking in there shoes but walking with them and I fear that this will be a long year of complaints without equal work to match. It is what it is.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So would it be possible to get a video of her best movement pitch?
The contention I have is that like the pitcher I refer to the only limitation I see in shorter pitchers IS the limited break on pitches

I get that longer levers provide a mechnical advantage with respect to pitch velocity, but how does height affect the ability to spin the ball???

Dec 19, 2012
I get that longer levers provide a mechnical advantage with respect to pitch velocity, but how does height affect the ability to spin the ball???

Yeah....kinda scratching my head on that one too. The best pitcher I ever caught (baseball) as far as movement goes was about 5'7", no long fingers, and had a tremendous curveball and slider. He only threw about 81mph...the slowest pitcher on our roster.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA