Shaved Bats - How big is the market?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
You gave away the secret!

I spent a number of years as a scientific programmer. Word was great for getting Swedish and Greek letters. For example, Å is the symbol for Ångstrom, which is a unit used in measuring the size of atoms and molecues (10 e-10 meters).

Why didn't I think of that? Nice.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I've seen advertisement for shaving and rolling bats in Facebook. They usually say something like "add 20-30' to your swing". Many people don't even know it's illegal.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
This is like driving drunk. The people who shave bats don't care that's it's wrong until they get caught. (might be a bit of a wide comparison).

I would happily let my DD use one if I knew it added 30 feet to your fly ball. That would have been the difference between zero HR's at 12U and 17 HR's at 12U. However my DD hit 4 pitchers last year with line drives. 2 in the foot/ankle, 1 in the thigh (all ones you can live with/through) then one in the neck/throat under the mask. Somehow the girl got her hand up and possibly saved her life but broke her pitching thumb. Add 30 feet of speed/power and a 12 year old girl could be dead.

But parents/people live in the "it won't happen to me" world.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
This is like driving drunk. The people who shave bats don't care that's it's wrong until they get caught. (might be a bit of a wide comparison).

I would happily let my DD use one if I knew it added 30 feet to your fly ball. That would have been the difference between zero HR's at 12U and 17 HR's at 12U. However my DD hit 4 pitchers last year with line drives. 2 in the foot/ankle, 1 in the thigh (all ones you can live with/through) then one in the neck/throat under the mask. Somehow the girl got her hand up and possibly saved her life but broke her pitching thumb. Add 30 feet of speed/power and a 12 year old girl could be dead.

But parents/people live in the "it won't happen to me" world.

Wow. DD #3 had a minor injury while pitching rec ball, that was ALMOST bad enough for surgery. Instead it just required some rest of her wrist. That was an aluminum bat. DD #1 was in a game where the pitcher broke her pitching had from a ball hit back to her. Not sure what kind of bat. Imagine if either had been a shaved bat...

For now DD #3 still uses an aluminum bat for 12U. I might get her a composite bat, but then I would still have her use aluminum in rec ball.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD was swinging an 32/22 LXT and her swing speed was only 50MPH. She's up around 57MPH in only a few months with a 33/23 CF6 this year. So as these girls get stronger and the bats get better the pitchers might want to use cages.

But in the chase of the scholarship some parents will do ANYTHING to get an edge. My DD plays C and INF now, last year was her first year not playing OF. I miss the days of her being in CF where if you get hit by a line drive you did it wrong lol.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Most of the time they tell you they shave or roll them when they do not.

Some even say NEW BAT AND ILL SHAVE AND ROLL IT FOR YOU when they should be saying USED BAT AND ILL SAY I SHAVED ROLLED IT SO U WONT QUESTION THE LACK OF WRAPPER< WARRANTY AND RECEIPT>AND ITS LIGHT USE

so they get full price or more

Most guys that know anything shave with the wrapper on...the only missing part will be that the wrap wont wrap over the endcap after they are done like bats off the shelf do. Just letting you know a bat with a wrapper doesnt mean anything.

And honestly, if you are buying a shaved bat, you arent worried about a receipt to be legit...haha.

And coachbob...doesnt matter how big the market is. The sites are cheap to make and these dbags dont even stock any bats. They just have a legit dealer that sells them bats cheaper, so its no money out of their pocket to have any inventory or anything. Most of the time they will buy off a dealer that is local so no shipping costs for the dealer either. Heck, one bat a month pays all their bills.

Shaving has been talked to death about on here, so I wont even comment about it.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
If my kid got injured due to a ball coming off a bat that was found to be shaved or rolled, I'd be using that same bat as part of a post-game "discussion" with the batter's parents.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know shaved bats were an issue in slow pitch, but was not aware of a problem with them in fastpitch, but I may be naive. Only way to stop it would be to have tournament directors bring compression bat testers to tournaments with the threat of a heavy fine and a lifetime ban for anyone caught using a shaved bat.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I know shaved bats were an issue in slow pitch, but was not aware of a problem with them in fastpitch, but I may be naive. Only way to stop it would be to have tournament directors bring compression bat testers to tournaments with the threat of a heavy fine and a lifetime ban for anyone caught using a shaved bat.

Well, I'm sure it's coming. I would be shocked if it was not an issue in Fastpitch. Don't you know any psycho Fastpitch dads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom