Sexist image?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2015
I've been tolerating it for 40 years, so apparently it's not intolerable. But I don't admire it or relate to it. And that's ok.

I'm with you on this. With your DD being a 10u do you think she participates to feel included?

Most evangelicals I know believe God is part of, or responsible for everything in their lives. I find that level of commitment to their beliefs quite remarkable as opposed to being intolerable. Obviously YMMV....

The intolerance comes into play because some of the churchy people don't understand, or more importantly, accept other's decision to not share their passion for their beliefs, and treat them differently. My issue is what does softball have to do with religion? If they feel it's all connected, then why do they have to use the pitcher's circle for post game praise Jesus time? Why not find a spot elsewhere in the park?

Jun 12, 2015
I definitely think she participates to feel included. We've always let them find their own beliefs. They've gone to church with their friends and my mom. I don't try to make them think like me. But religion doesn't seem to be their thing either, so I think it's mostly not wanting to stand out in a negative way.

Dec 2, 2012
The intolerance comes into play because some of the churchy people don't understand, or more importantly, accept other's decision to not share their passion for their beliefs, and treat them differently. My issue is what does softball have to do with religion? If they feel it's all connected, then why do they have to use the pitcher's circle for post game praise Jesus time? Why not find a spot elsewhere in the park?

"Churchy people".... what is a "churchy" person?

Was anyone else using the "pitcher's circle" at that particular moment? Seems like an out of the way place for those who would like to give thanks... and if someone choses to not participate, they wouldn't have to journey all the way out to the circle to not participate.

Why don't those who choose to NOT "praise Jesus" find somewhere else in the park to fulfill their wishes?

Maybe we could have the "believers" at first base, and the "non-believers" at third base?

Maybe we could have a special tournament pitting Churchy People against Non-Churchy People? Maybe we could call it "The Battle for the Souls". I bet USSSA would grant the victor(s) a berth at their nationals, assuming a check for $899 accompanied the certificate of victory from the event....

Is there a particular place in the park you would approve for these "Churchy People" to assemble? Maybe they could have a designated praying area similar to designated smoking areas....as far away from any the non-believers as possible?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
The pitcher's circle, in the middle of the field, is an out of the way place? Interesting. I've lived in the bible belt my whole life, almost. You get used to religion (one certain branch of it) being the default when you live here. You get used to the prejudice against you when people find out you - gasp! - don't go to church. You get used to having to stand quietly for endless prayers in public places where everyone assumes everybody's the same religion. You get used to it, but you don't have to like it. I've tried to explain to my religious friends why it's an issue but they just can't seem to get it. I even try to flip it around - what if it weren't giving thanks to Jesus but doing the whole Mecca facing whatever direction and praying to Allah instead? Would that feel harmless? Probably not. But there's a fascinating lack of empathy from those who are like, "Hey, it's no big deal." Anyway, I imagine if we continue this discussion the thread is going to go bye bye, am I right?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
re: prayer circle ...

Why put a softball player (especially one who is a kid) in a position on a softball field of having to choose between (1) joining this circle and being somebody that she is not, or (2) being left out of what her softball teammates are doing on the softball field?

I take no issue to anyone being passionate about their faith. But I value that kid's feelings and the principal of teammates being all for one and one for all on their softball field more than I do the need to pray at that particular moment and to apply peer pressure (albeit unintended) on kids to be something they are not.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
there's a fascinating lack of empathy

I like that phrase. I was head coach of a 10U team years back, and my assistant was very religious. He's my friend to this day. Big heart. I've moved out of state, we still keep in touch.

Before one big game, he stops the girls before they go out on the field and leads them in prayer. I was stunned. Not offended really, but stunned. There were two Jewish girls on the team, for one thing. Prayer ends, 'In Jesus we pray.' As I said, I like this guy, and totally respect his beliefs. I admire all people who are passionate about their beliefs and try to do the right thing as they understand it. But it still represented that 'fascinating lack of empathy' that you described.

Dec 20, 2012
re: prayer circle ...

Why put a softball player (especially one who is a kid) in a position on a softball field of having to choose between (1) joining this circle and being somebody that she is not, or (2) being left out of what her softball teammates are doing on the softball field?

I take no issue to anyone being passionate about their faith. But I value that kid's feelings and the principal of teammates being all for one and one for all on their softball field more than I do the need to pray at that particular moment and to apply peer pressure (albeit unintended) on kids to be something they are not.

I do see both sides of the situation to a point. My advice to anyone on a team that is participating in any type of action I do not approve of is to find another team. If the coaches curse and I am against cursing I find another team. Personally I am not opposed to prayer before or after the game. If it's before it could be done on the side or the dugout. After often one team will ask another to join in prayer. As long as it's not interfering with the next game I have no problem with it being done at the mound or home plate. Being a christian to me means to never hide the fact that you are born again and spreading His word. But I also believe as a christian I should not do anything to bring bad light to christianity. Imposing my beliefs on anyone to the point they have totally disregarded christianity as a viable lifestyle choice is no worse than to not acknowledge i am a christian.

grcsoftball, most christians are very strong in their beliefs but also do not judge others for theirs(i hope). Christianity is based on faith and often it is hard for some to dedicate their life to something that they can't see, I get that. But hopefully you will come around to our way of thinking or burn in eternal hell! That was a joke, kinda. lol But don't let the actions of a few make your stance against christianity or any religion even stronger. I am Back-sliding Baptist so I'm pretty good at judging others a little too soon.

FYI- my favorite verse of scripture is Matthew 7:4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

Jun 12, 2015
One of my very best friends is VERY VERY Christian. I definitely have no problem with anyone's faith. Just to be clear :) I know she probably is very concerned for my soul and I feel almost guilty for causing her that stress. lol

Our team doesn't do the praying thing, but it has come up a couple of times at CAM tournaments here. But like I said, my husband and I just don't participate, and our daughter chooses to join her team and just stand there respectfully. We do also teach our kids to be respectful of whatever anyone believes (and also, don't ruin Santa or the Easter Bunny for their friends :)). Again, it's not so much a huge deal as more of an annoyance, at times.

Jun 12, 2015
I would also like to add that it's very impressive when religion comes up and things stay very civil. DFP rocks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13