Sexist image?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I still don't understand how pictures and a few words can have such a profound impact on young girls.
When I look at it I see that there are two acceptable sides to every girl. that is an unspoken sentiment that permeates our culture. believe it or not, it is there.
that's why I don't like it. it will not lead to the end of civilization as we know it, it's just not as cute to me as it is to others.
I understand the other response, just hope this helps clarify my response.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Obbay, thanks for bringing us back on-topic.

As for those who wonder why the rule about politics and religion is in place, I refer you to the Softball Technical Hitting forum. If people can get that angry and defensive about how to hit a softball, imagine what they will do if they feel their politics or religion is being attacked.

The discussion to this point has been respectful, so we've let it stand for now. But let's get back to the core topic.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When I look at it I see that there are two acceptable sides to every girl. that is an unspoken sentiment that permeates our culture. believe it or not, it is there.
that's why I don't like it. it will not lead to the end of civilization as we know it, it's just not as cute to me as it is to others.
I understand the other response, just hope this helps clarify my response.

Personally, I think some people are reading too much into a meme. The point is that one thing doesn't define what it means to be a girl. It's not that these are the only two options. It works because it plays on the dichotomy of the athlete vs. beauty queen stereotypes, and illustrates the point clearly because they both can be depicted by just the shoes. Could you create a clear message by showing the shoe of a musician, a scientist, or an artist?

IMO, YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13