Semi funny first TB tryout story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
It would be really slim pickings if I try to find a 2002 team, within driving distance without a coaches daughter on the team, that DD is talented enough and driven enough to make. It looks like the top orgs have less daddies coaching, but DD isn't there yet. So we are in the middle of the pack teams and the newer teams this go around. I don't care if a dad is coaching, just want him to be a smart dad.

another example while the girls were fielding grounders...

sentence one "charge every ball"
Sentence two.....seconds later "make your own hop!"

Then he hits a hard one who's hop would dictate that the girl (his own DD I think) should stay put to be in a good position to field cleanly ..."Charge it!"

This is the type of stuff I am trying to avoid.

There are bad coaches in every sport at every level. Typically you're going to rely on "Word of Mouth" as far as which organizations have the solid coaching/instruction. Or you can do as you are doing...go to several tryouts and see how they are run. The only caution I would offer is the folks running the tryout aren't necessarily the ones that will be coaching the level team you are trying out for.

JJ, just curious, is it typical in your area to have tryouts this late? In our area, most of the teams had tryouts prior to fall ball.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There are bad coaches in every sport at every level. Typically you're going to rely on "Word of Mouth" as far as which organizations have the solid coaching/instruction. Or you can do as you are doing...go to several tryouts and see how they are run. The only caution I would offer is the folks running the tryout aren't necessarily the ones that will be coaching the level team you are trying out for.

JJ, just curious, is it typical in your area to have tryouts this late? In our area, most of the teams had tryouts prior to fall ball.

I don't know for sure since this is the first time on the merry go round. I thought August was tryout season, but it looks like the teams make some changes around here in Dec and January to finalize the roster for spring. I see tryout notices for pretty much every team I am aware of. Some for a lot of positions, some for specific positions, maybe this is to give the team and the families an out if the fit through the fall didn't look so good?

Jul 17, 2012
DD played on a team last year...she was a word of mouth pickup. She had a private tryout because a player made a decision to bail late winter to jump to another team. So I guess this is likely the time to solidify your roster.

I just started a team for this year with another local little league coach and we were looking to take on 14 players this year. We thought about taking 12 in the fall and having a supplemental tryout around now to fill roster needs. So yeah.. that makes sense.

Ultimately, it didn't happen as we were able to find 14 strong players, some young and raw for developmental purposes. We went with 14 so we can have a good core for next year, as half the team will move up to 14U and half will stay back at 12U to try and build the organization to multiple teams. 4 of the girls were selected as developmental players, and their parents were made aware of this and they were all on board with it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Funny you mention "developmental" one of the things I've been considering is trying to get her hooked up with a better team for practice and instruction but not necessarily for tourneys\game time, we'd use rec for that. Just to get her the right kind of coaching in a team environment. Is it common for there to be developmental players "on" teams?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Haven't tried this with softball, but in soccer I've had good luck connecting rec kids that had good potential with select/premier teams to spend a few sessions training with them. About every kid I've referred has been invited to try out and made a squad. Might be worth a try.

Jul 17, 2012
Funny you mention "developmental" one of the things I've been considering is trying to get her hooked up with a better team for practice and instruction but not necessarily for tourneys\game time, we'd use rec for that. Just to get her the right kind of coaching in a team environment. Is it common for there to be developmental players "on" teams?

I don't know that it is common or not. I don't know how different orgs do things. I have a limited experince. The way we set up our team is we didn't charge any fee's up front. This gave the best players an opportunity to play, not just the ones whose family could afford it. We bought the uniforms, and paid all of the fees. Winter indoor workouts cost each kid $5 for a 2 hour / week practice. We will pay for tournaments as we go by splitting the cost. Those 4 developmental players will be asked to participate, but they are free to opt out. They have an understanding that they will get "some" game time, and will be worked into the games in situations. Speed on the bases, strong bunting ability, etc. We're going into this with a long term outlok. Building a strong organization from the ground up. We have 6 kids that can pitch. 4 are established, 2 are WIP. Circle time will be spread out pretty good, but once again, all parents were made aware, and are all "On Board".

May 27, 2013
We see a lot of team-hopping around here after fall ball ends but before indoor workouts begin after the holiday break; therefore, we tend to see a few more tryouts taking place now.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know that it is common or not. I don't know how different orgs do things. I have a limited experince. The way we set up our team is we didn't charge any fee's up front. This gave the best players an opportunity to play, not just the ones whose family could afford it. We bought the uniforms, and paid all of the fees. Winter indoor workouts cost each kid $5 for a 2 hour / week practice. We will pay for tournaments as we go by splitting the cost. Those 4 developmental players will be asked to participate, but they are free to opt out. They have an understanding that they will get "some" game time, and will be worked into the games in situations. Speed on the bases, strong bunting ability, etc. We're going into this with a long term outlok. Building a strong organization from the ground up. We have 6 kids that can pitch. 4 are established, 2 are WIP. Circle time will be spread out pretty good, but once again, all parents were made aware, and are all "On Board".

This sounds like a solid plan to me. Especially for a brand new team. Grow together as a unit. 14 seems like a lot of players, but it sounds like you are being honest up front. That is a good way to start. Plus, between injuries and vacations, it is doubtful you will have all 14 for every tournament anyway.
The biggest problem I see around here is that 2 or 3 coaches will get together to build a new organization and expect to win states the first season. Then when reality doesn't meet expectations, they jettison some players and try to start over. We picked up a couple of those jettisoned players this fall and are very happy to have them.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl