Semi funny first TB tryout story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Very few organizations at the 12u level can pay for their coaches, so you're usually stuck with some kids dad. Your best bet is to find a coach on his 2nd or 3rd go-around, who already has a kid in or through college and is now working with their younger kids. Never join a team with a coach who has his firstborn daughter on the team.

-W

Feb 7, 2013
As a TB coach if a girl has a different pitching style than mine, I will ask if they have a pitching coach. If they do, I let them be. If they are just going off things they learn on the internet, I will suggest that if they are serious, that they find a PC. I have seen too many battles over pitching styles to count.

I don't think I have seen a travel ball pitcher who doesn't have a pitching coach?

Jan 18, 2011
Never join a team with a coach who has his firstborn daughter on the team.

I like that information. Incidentally that got me out of coaching for a local org. I was told your daughters don't even play anymore so we're letting dads who have daughters on the team coach instead. That was a shame as I watch the level of play go down due to poor instruction. Name all the poor terminology; HE (hello elbow), squish the bug, etc. and you got what they were taught. That really upset me at the time. I'm over it now. :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
"Never join a team with a coach who has his firstborn daughter on the team"

While I would typically say this is good advice, I think it depends where you live. In my neck of the woods, I am familiar with 10 different TB teams within a 1 hour drive. All of them have coaches with daughters on the team. Although I cannot verify they are all first born, but I know many are. So essentially, the quote can be changed for us to be "never join a team." Or you could alter it to read "play soccer".

Jul 17, 2012
Very few organizations at the 12u level can pay for their coaches, so you're usually stuck with some kids dad. Your best bet is to find a coach on his 2nd or 3rd go-around, who already has a kid in or through college and is now working with their younger kids. Never join a team with a coach who has his firstborn daughter on the team.

-W

LoL... and definitely don't coach a team with parents that think like this!!!

Jul 17, 2012
"Never join a team with a coach who has his firstborn daughter on the team"

While I would typically say this is good advice, I think it depends where you live. In my neck of the woods, I am familiar with 10 different TB teams within a 1 hour drive. All of them have coaches with daughters on the team. Although I cannot verify they are all first born, but I know many are. So essentially, the quote can be changed for us to be "never join a team." Or you could alter it to read "play soccer".

Agree 100%. Who coaches youth softball if they don't have kids involved? Maybe in some areas....but drop a pin on a map of the US, and I'll bet the ratio of teams coached by a "Mom" or "Dad" vs. someone else, is somewhere between 99:1 and 100:1. And I'd go even farther and say much more often than not, they are the parent of one of the pitchers.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
It would be really slim pickings if I try to find a 2002 team, within driving distance without a coaches daughter on the team, that DD is talented enough and driven enough to make. It looks like the top orgs have less daddies coaching, but DD isn't there yet. So we are in the middle of the pack teams and the newer teams this go around. I don't care if a dad is coaching, just want him to be a smart dad.

another example while the girls were fielding grounders...

sentence one "charge every ball"
Sentence two.....seconds later "make your own hop!"

Then he hits a hard one who's hop would dictate that the girl (his own DD I think) should stay put to be in a good position to field cleanly ..."Charge it!"

This is the type of stuff I am trying to avoid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl