Second Video of Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She is looking great and working hard. On passed balls, I think she needs to stay lower and make the throw to the plate.

Here is a link to how MLB catchers use their feet on throws to second; You lean onto the left foot, then drag the right foot behind the left and then push and throw. This is one example, but I've seen Yadier Molina, and Joe Mauer do it the same way, and it's what my friend who caught in MLB, told me.

http://firstpickclub.com/video/catcherthrow.mp4

Dd's newest catching instructor was an mlb catcher. That is pretty close to what he has her do. If we have a pretty good chance of a runner stealing, he has her "cheat" a little, left foot forward and turned in slightly. As pitch is coming she is to start leaning onto then over her left foot. Caught ball and left hip pulls a bit, right foot has to slide fast or she'll fall forward.
The key seems to be a quick, straight ball transer. If her hands aren't quick and straight line up by her ear, her feet will studer step. Her focus is to always be on a quick transfer, not a final result of a fast throwdown.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For a catcher starting out, I'd only focus on getting the mechanics engrained. Until that time, trying to become quicker and being concerned strictly with the results is counterproductive. In other words, the NECC DVD will be much more helpful for CA's DD than MLB clips.

May 1, 2011
If we have a pretty good chance of a runner stealing, he has her "cheat" a little, left foot forward and turned in slightly.

This is how we were doing things too. What if it's a bad pitch? That's something that we started to look at. What good is it to set up/"cheat" to TRY and throw out a runner when it's going to make it more difficult to block something, thus GIVING them the base anyways. This is the VERY FIRST THING that her private instructor changed. Is this STAGGERING of the feet something that the NECC encourages/teaches? Just wondering. Still would love to see some clips of High Level Catchers in the Sticky Thread too.

Josh

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is how we were doing things too. What if it's a bad pitch? That's something that we started to look at. What good is it to set up/"cheat" to TRY and throw out a runner when it's going to make it more difficult to block something, thus GIVING them the base anyways. This is the VERY FIRST THING that her private instructor changed. Is this STAGGERING of the feet something that the NECC encourages/teaches? Just wondering. Still would love to see some clips of High Level Catchers in the Sticky Thread too.

Josh

No NECC doesn't promote it. You are right, staggering the feet makes it more difficult to block to the side with the foot forward.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Josh

I was kind of against it at first, being that NECC does not promote it. We messed with it and it is no harder for her to block with her left foot slightly forward. Also, our pitchers throw only a couple in the dirt per game, so that thought came into factor. Also the thought of early innings being set up that way has come to mind, then after throwing a girl out by several feet and the opponents stop attempting to steal, get a more even set up.

We did everything to what NECC did on video and from one clinic when starting out. At this point though we have opened our minds to tweaking...as NECC is no where near here, there have been no clinics anywhere near here, and dd has a good relationship with her instructor.

May 1, 2011
On the NECC not being anywhere near, I'm feeling ya there. And, I'm a whole-hearted believer in being open minded. Just know what we experienced and we made the opposite change. I do love that whole "she threw out the first two girls that attempted, so we're not sending anyone the rest of the day" mentality.

Josh

Jan 7, 2013
DD went into "runner's on" stance with a slight stagger, right big toe lined up with left heel, when she was starting out. It allowed her to position her feet quicker to make the throw. As her leg and arm strength and throw velocity increased, I noticed she was staggering her feet less and less. She doesn't do it very often now.

I think I heard or read that it takes a good year for younger girls to fully develop the leg strength to pop up, position their feet and make an accurate throw to second. Watching DD develop, I'm thinking that's pretty accurate. She still has days where shes too sore to run after an intense catcher workout.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD went into "runner's on" stance with a slight stagger, right big toe lined up with left heel, when she was starting out. It allowed her to position her feet quicker to make the throw. As her leg and arm strength and throw velocity increased, I noticed she was staggering her feet less and less. She doesn't do it very often now.

I think I heard or read that it takes a good year for younger girls to fully develop the leg strength to pop up, position their feet and make an accurate throw to second. Watching DD develop, I'm thinking that's pretty accurate. She still has days where shes too sore to run after an intense catcher workout.

No question that it does take time to get the mechanics and footwork down, but the rest of it doesn't really make any sense to me. Building leg strength and stamina are important so that a catcher can maintain their stance, particularly the runner's on stance, but why should a catcher need any more leg strength to make an accurate throw to second from their crouch than from a standing position?

Based on their studies, NECC's rule of thumb is that a catcher with good technique can throw from from their crouch at a velocity within approx 5 mph of their max overhand velocity. To be able to do that, you need to fully incorporate the lower body and use a sequence not unlike the stretch and fire sequence use for hitting (see DFP hitting forums). If there's a larger difference, its indicative of a technique flaw (i.e., receiving position, footwork, throwing mechanics, ball transfer).

IMO, the stagger tends to limit the stretch and while the ball may end up leaving the catcher's hand earlier (which is debatable), it will be at a slower velocity. The bottom line is whether there is a net gain i.e., does the ball get to the base sooner or not? To answer that question for your catcher, use a stop watch to see whether another technique actually results in a faster pop time. As an example, some, but not all catchers may have faster pop times when throwing from their knees (I'll skip discussion of arm stress)!

One of the most important things I've learned here at DFP is not to accept something as fact just because it was stated by so and so, or sounds good, or is cutting edge. Keep an open mind, evaluate objectively, and verify.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach