Second Video of Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Also something we discussed. I know there are two different schools on that too. Some go behind, and some come around the front. Thoughts? Personally, if you go around front, you will deal with the batter less often unless they're diving out across the plate. But, I tend to think that it's circumstantial. Catcher just has to learn to make that adjustment on the fly. Trying not to hit her too much with the mental stuff at once. Getting some mechanics and footwork engrained to where they JUST HAPPEN. Once we start seeing that on the reg, we'll start fine tuning some details. Warm-Up tourney for Florida this weekend. Hope to get some good footage of gametime scenarios. Now, if we can get her hitting again too....She needs to have some success this weekend so we can have her riding high when we head East next week. She's pumped though. She just wants to be behind the plate and start putting this stuff to work.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I have seen this now several times around here. Is there a specific reason that you guys encourage catchers to keep their masks on?

Bad things happen when the mask is taken off with the ball in play... Or should I say the POTENTIAL for bad things happening rises dramatically wit the mask off. Small things can happen like throwing the mask down an then tripping over it, (I see this every year) hitting the umpire with the mask is also common. (And not appreciated by Blue!) More serious things such as losing track of the ball (The sun usually tries to hide it from you) and then getting hit in the face with it, stumbling face first into the chain link backstop can also ruin your catcher's day. Granted, some things are more common than others. But why risk it? Plus the fact that it takes time to remove the mask and causes the catcher to blink. The small increment of time can be the difference between winning and losing a game occasionally....

What really cemented my opinion on keeping the mask on was sitting in on a coaches clinic aimed specifically at coaching catchers hosted by Olympic gold medal catcher and current head coach of the University of Chicago Illinois Michelle Venturella. She is of the same opinion and provided a few drill on fielding pop ups with the mask on...

The important part is to as "Mags" does and practice. Work drills and that simulate the game as closely as possible... She's looks like she's doing great C/A!

Feb 24, 2012
Just a bucket dad here. passed balls play at the plate. Sprint, slide, throw. Sprint to the ball, slide on shin guards to the ball(get the hip angle set for throwing while sliding) throw the ball overhand from the knees. aim for pitchers glove. Staying down seems to be quicker than picking ball up and standing up to throw. Blocking did look good. What age?

This a catcher forum, those are called wild pitches here! :D

May 1, 2011
Update on the weekend. DD caught three games yesterday in triple digit temperatures. We played 5 games, so with two catchers, someone had to play 3. DD looked good behind the plate. Had a couple of tweeners get by her where she was trying to reach out and glove it before it hit the dirt. One in a pool game let the tying run get across (that's how the game ended). Another one allowed a runner to advance, but she didn't score (no harm, no foul). Threw out 2 girls attempting to steal 3rd. 0-5 on girls stealing second. All of her throws were directly on line (a couple of them were one hoppers, but not short hoppers), but we are REALLY having difficulty finding a SS that is good at receiving that throw and applying the tag. We had a fantastic SS about 6 months ago, but they left the team. Since then, we've platooned that position with 4 of the girls on the team right now, but all of them are pretty small. One of them is admittedly scared of getting hurt. Two of them just don't have great SOFTBALL INSTINCTS. The third has a motor that won't quit, tries/works harder than almost any other girl on the team, but is still just learning the game. I think she's going to be the long term answer because she's fearless and is really trying to learn the position, but it's put us in the position of surrendering a lot of SB's of 2B. Don't get me wrong, DD wouldn't be 100%, but 50% is a realistic number right now.

On another note, I mentioned that I really wanted her to have a good weekend at the plate. 3-5 yesterday with 3 doubles, 5 RBI's, 2 K's (I can't put a backwards K on here, but they were both looking), and an HBP. Wife just called (I'm at work) and they were down by three against a superior team. DD made the pitcher work 10-11 pitch at-bat before she hit a bases clearing, stand-up Triple over the right fielder's head. Tied it up, and now they're going into ITB. This is the kinda stuff that happens when I'm at work. COME ON LOTTERY!!!!!

To all of you die hard moms and dads that are out there sweating profusely supporting your girls this weekend, it's just as important that you stay hydrated as well. Saw 2 moms hit the deck yesterday because of dehydration. Water and Gatorade (I alternate, cause you have to replenish the salt too). Get you a cooler with some ice water and towels. Sunscreen, sunscreen, SUNSCREEN. You smile now, but we lost my father-in-law 3 years ago due to Skin Cancer. The Sun is NO JOKE!! Above all else though, enjoy every minute.

Josh

May 1, 2011
Ended up losing 6-5. Wife said DD played her butt off. Hey, as long as you leave it all out on the field right?

Josh

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am glad that your DD is doing so well and that she made it through this heat, w/o complications.

One thing that I saw Callista Balko (U of AZ.) show my 15 yo niece was to throw farther than 2nd base. She sat a tee, with a ball on it about 6 feet, directly behind 2nd base. I was thinking about this, when you mentioned that your SS was having trouble handling the throw. So, your DD might have to throw the ball higher to her, than you would normally, just so the SS has some success catching the ball.

Good luck. I am glad that someone is finally teaching catching.

May 1, 2011
THROW FARTHER THAN SECOND BASE. Absolutely hysterical because that is the EXACT conversation I had with her yesterday. She's got a tendency to take things at their MOST LITERAL, so of course her response was, "but dad, if I try to throw it farther than second base, I'll throw it into CF." My response: "Really? Right now you're trying to throw it to 2B and coming up just a bit short, so I'm thinking if you try to throw it further, it'll be just right." You could ALMOST see the light bulb go off in her head. We'll work on it this week some. My honest opinion is that she's trying to guide it down there instead of just letting it rip and driving through her throw. I've seen her make some spectacular throws, so I just can't accept that her arm isn't strong enough. It's one of those things where you just KNOW your daughter, and I think she's easing off the gas just a smidge. She fielded a bunt yesterday that died right out in front of the plate and threw a laser beam to second to get the force. Ball wasn't 6 feet off the ground. I know she had some momentum going with her that way too, but her arm action was completely different because she knew she had to really HUM IT to get that girl. She needs to be thinking that on all attempted put outs. That CF is backing the 2B up, so if you sail it, she'll be there. Just let it fly!!!

Josh

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
So, everything that was in the first video that made your legs hurt just watching it...yeah, they did a condensed version of those before the rest of the stuff on this video. Temperature touched 98 today. DD usually does work out in full gear, but we're not idiots. Let her work in half gear when necessary today. You can tell at some points that she was getting pretty tired. Nonetheless, I'm proud at how hard she's working. Have some throwing on this one. She's got 2 pretty good throws to 2B and a couple to 3B. Ball handling time I got under a second a couple of times. Blocking looks SOOO much better than it did a month ago.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGVXJmdkY3aVZFLWM/edit

Thanks,

Josh

She is looking great and working hard. On passed balls, I think she needs to stay lower and make the throw to the plate.

Here is a link to how MLB catchers use their feet on throws to second; You lean onto the left foot, then drag the right foot behind the left and then push and throw. This is one example, but I've seen Yadier Molina, and Joe Mauer do it the same way, and it's what my friend who caught in MLB, told me.

http://firstpickclub.com/video/catcherthrow.mp4

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie