Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
That is one very odd perspective.
How else can you look at it as?
When a state school hires a coach from another state what the school is saying, exactly, is that the locals aren't good enough.
It's the same when a school recruits players from other states, they're telling the local player pool that they're not good enough to represent the school at the national level amd to be competitive nationally, the schools team needs ringers from other states.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
How else can you look at it as?
When a state school hires a coach from another state what the school is saying, exactly, is that the locals aren't good enough.
It's the same when a school recruits players from other states, they're telling the local player pool that they're not good enough to represent the school at the national level amd to be competitive nationally, the schools team needs ringers from other states.

People move and take jobs in other states all the time. How is sports any different? The argument that a state has some claim to a player or coach because of residency, or a player or coach has some claim to a position in-state for the same reason, is very odd.

Nov 8, 2020
All of the taxes that a state's residents pay that go to parks, facilities, schools.... are part of what developed those players or coaches in to the players and coaches they are. That's a tax payer funded commodity. Then other states just come in and pillage because they are unable to develop their residents as well, there should be some sort of tariff or exchange of goods and services.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
While I agree that the modern form of recruiting is not perfect, I'm not sure a geographical solution is the best idea. If we would consider that type of arrangement, we would not be able to restrict it to athletics. How many students attend colleges outside of their own state even when they are not athletes? I will use Notre Dame as an example. Based on a quick google search, roughly 94% of Notre Dame's enrollment is from outside Indiana. More than twice as many students come from Illinois as those from Indiana. Actually, Indiana is 5th on their list. In fact, nearly 7% of their enrollment is from outside the United States (112 different countries are represented). That means there are more students at Notre Dame from outside then US than there are from the state of Indiana. Imagine how different Notre Dame would be if they were only allowed to select students from Indiana. And since we are adding coaches into this discussion, let's also limit Notre Dame's faculty to only people that were born and raised in Indiana. I wonder how much luck they would have with their graduate programs, if they were only permitted to hire professors from Indiana?

Nov 8, 2020
I am perfectly fine with anything that hampers neutered lame from recruiting players or allowing students from outside of Indiana.
Fight On

But in the rule change I had suggested earlier in the thread, the domers would not be affected as in state and out of state students pay the same tuition so the scholarship math would be 1=1

Florida however would have out of state players count as 4 scholarships as that's how their school treats out of state students

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Almost all 18 year old (adults) players are going to have a financial need. Most have zero to little income, but they are adults. Why should the parents income has any bearing on the amount of the adult's scholarship? Think about it. When an 18 year old goes to a dealership to buy a car the parents income is irrelevant to cost of the car.
Have you never cosigned for a place to live or to buy a car? Parents income is often relevant to whether or not that 18 year can live in a certain place or buy a certain car.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I just want to see my state better represented and make the state schools be made up of players from the state the school is in....and coached by someone from that state.

There are more players from California than any other state in D1 softball, more coaches from California too. But only 1 school from California in the final 16. That doesn't seem equal to what California produces.

In the 16 softball programs alive 85 players are from California and 7 head coaches are from California (Oklahoma, ucla, Florida, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Florida State and Georgia)

Just want actual representation of California and not just a bunch of other states hiring Californians to get their state's programs to the NCAA playoffs

Maybe the school softball programs should be better to retain California students?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
California does a great job of keep California kids in state. How many kids that are playing for a college in California are not from Cali? Very little. I have rarely seen a Californian college on the recruiting trail. Why? They do a good job of recruiting in state. When I hear that a kid is interested in a Cali school, I tell them to look at the roster and see how many kids are from out of state. They come back and say ohhhhh. You have almost 0 percent chance of getting recruited to California.

Maybe the should start recruiting kids from out of state...
I just want to see my state better represented and make the state schools be made up of players from the state the school is in....and coached by someone from that state.

There are more players from California than any other state in D1 softball, more coaches from California too. But only 1 school from California in the final 16. That doesn't seem equal to what California produces.

In the 16 softball programs alive 85 players are from California and 7 head coaches are from California (Oklahoma, ucla, Florida, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Florida State and Georgia)

Just want actual representation of California and not just a bunch of other states hiring Californians to get their state's programs to the NCAA playoffs

California does a great job of keep California kids in state. How many kids that are playing for a college in California are not from Cali? Very little. I have rarely seen a Californian college on the recruiting trail. Why? They do a good job of recruiting in state. When I hear that a kid is interested in a Cali school, I tell them to look at the roster and see how many kids are from out of state. They come back and say ohhhhh. You have almost 0 percent chance of getting recruited to California.

Maybe the should start recruiting kids from out of state...maybe they will do better!!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06