Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
The schools in other states have taken a lot of money from the ticket sales amd TV deals their football teams have earned and dumped that money in to their softball programs, building great facilities, hiring coaches from California who have ties to the club programs in California and recruiting budgets to entice California players
You partner that with the #1 school, athletically, in the state not even bothering to field a softball team and you see so much talent looking beyond the state's borders to continue play.
Also the sheer numbers of coaches and players from California is just too high for the 3 Power 5 softball programs in the state (and Stanford always being an outlier with as many out of state students and student athletes as home grown there)
And the sheer idiocy at USC, which has more National Titles in men's sports than any other school in the country and has recently made a push in women's sports to go after that school across town, not having a softball program at all.
But don't let a school like UCI, which is located in the city that the PGF National Championships holds their games and the CIF (HS) title games are also held, off the hook for not having a program. Or Pepperdine University, which has one of the greatest views from any college baseball stadium in the world on its campus to go with a baseball National Championship, who also doesn't have a softball program.

But none of that stuff changes the facts that the NCAA is holding their member schools accountable in their treatment of scholarship athletes the same as the paying students. If tuition is more for out of state students than in state students then out of state student athletes scholarships should be counted in a way that reflects that. Simply put, if an out of state student pays 2.8 times the tuition as an in state student, an out of state players scholarship should count as 2.8 towards the schools allotment. This would make schools either charge all students the same tuition or recruit more home grown players

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
California does a great job of keep California kids in state. How many kids that are playing for a college in California are not from Cali? Very little. I have rarely seen a Californian college on the recruiting trail. Why? They do a good job of recruiting in state. When I hear that a kid is interested in a Cali school, I tell them to look at the roster and see how many kids are from out of state. They come back and say ohhhhh. You have almost 0 percent chance of getting recruited to California.

Maybe the should start recruiting kids from out of state...

California does a great job of keep California kids in state. How many kids that are playing for a college in California are not from Cali? Very little. I have rarely seen a Californian college on the recruiting trail. Why? They do a good job of recruiting in state. When I hear that a kid is interested in a Cali school, I tell them to look at the roster and see how many kids are from out of state. They come back and say ohhhhh. You have almost 0 percent chance of getting recruited to California.

Maybe the should start recruiting kids from out of state...maybe they will do better!!!
14 of the 24 girls on Stanford's roster are from outside of California.

4 of the 25 girls on Cal Berkeley's roster are from outside of California.

3 of the 25 girls on UCLA's roster are from outside of California

Stanford is an anomaly no matter the sport.

Sep 13, 2020
You're asking the NCAA to unlevel the playing field and restrict the ability for CA resident softball players to attend the best programs for their skills. This would punish players, not schools. What makes you think that UC Santa Cruz is going to all of a sudden become a softball powerhouse in your scenario? They would still need to care about starting and maintaining a program.

Nov 8, 2020
I'm asking the NCAA to level the playing field by making their member universities count scholarships the same as they count tuition.

An out of state student paying 4 times as much as instate student is not level. The schools that choose to do this should treat their athletic departments the way they treat their student body and out of state athletes should count the same percentage an out of state student is forced to pay.

The best programs are the ones with the best players and coaches. If the California raised coaches are at California schools and the California players are at the California schools, why wouldn't they be the best programs?

Sep 13, 2020
The best programs are the ones with the best players and coaches. If the California raised coaches are at California schools and the California players are at the California schools, why wouldn't they be the best programs?

Because the school would have to care about starting and funding a softball program. Why doesn't UCSC just start a program and recruit CA students? If they offered a 50% scholarship to a CA player then it would be a lot cheaper for the player to attend than 50% of an out of state tuition anywhere else. Why doesn't that happen now? It's not like softball programs are handing out free rides to every starter on the team. It's because certain schools have a different commitment to the sport than other schools.

For reference:
UCLA: 3 non-CA players
Oklahoma: 6 CA players on roster
Alabama: 0
Florida: 2
Arkansas: 11
Washington: 9
OK State: 1
FL State: 0
Texas: 3

Nov 8, 2020
It'd be the coaches too.
Gasso, she'd be at a California school
Walton, he'd be at a California school
Harris-Champer, Deifel, Alameda, Gajewski..... all at California schools

Sep 13, 2020
What’s preventing any CA college from hiring any of them tomorrow? Pony up the cash, demonstrate a commitment to softball, and get them to move.

You’re trying to solve a problem that simply doesn’t exist

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
14 of the 24 girls on Stanford's roster are from outside of California.

4 of the 25 girls on Cal Berkeley's roster are from outside of California.

3 of the 25 girls on UCLA's roster are from outside of California

Stanford is an anomaly no matter the sport.

You just proved my point. California does a great job of in state recruiting. How about you look at all the rest of the D1's? All the mid majors too. Cali girl, Cali girl, Cali girl......Cali girl. How many kids would give their left big toe to be able to go to school in California? They would have to attend camps and their teams would have to play alot in Cali b/c those college coaches don't need to travel outside of the state.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
To Schmick's point about out of state tuition. Why do public schools even do out of state tuition? Is that to dissuade in state kids from leaving the state? I know Ark, Ole Miss, etc, schools roll out the red carpet to Texas students. I have a friend who's DD got a 35 on the ACT and was looking at UT's nursing program. This dad is a UT alumni and wanted DD to go there, but UT is very stingy with $$$ and did not accept her to the nursing program. Arkansas rolled out the red carpet and basically gave her $75K in scholarships which paid for 98% of all of her schooling. Is an education better at Ark than UT? But when your kid can graduate (she just did) with zero debt and parents pay nearly nothing, you would be crazy not to do it. This guy lives in $1MM house, so he's not really hurting for money. I know of 4 kids from my area that are attending Ark.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Because the school would have to care about starting and funding a softball program. Why doesn't UCSC just start a program and recruit CA students? If they offered a 50% scholarship to a CA player then it would be a lot cheaper for the player to attend than 50% of an out of state tuition anywhere else. Why doesn't that happen now? It's not like softball programs are handing out free rides to every starter on the team. It's because certain schools have a different commitment to the sport than other schools.

For reference:
UCLA: 3 non-CA players
Oklahoma: 6 CA players on roster
Alabama: 0
Florida: 2
Arkansas: 11
Washington: 9
OK State: 1
FL State: 0
Texas: 3
By the way, I have always said there is some great softball players all over the country! Many schools are figuring out that they don't need to go to Cali to get kick rear players. They are right in their back yards.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812