Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2020
To Schmick's point about out of state tuition. Why do public schools even do out of state tuition?
Public universities are funded by the state to help residents get an education. Would be kind of crappy if my state tax dollars went toward educating an out of state student. Having said that, here in the NE, there are some reciprocal arrangements between states for specific degree programs that qualify out of state students for in state tuition. Paying merit scholarships to attract the best students from out of state allows universities to do exactly what you're talking about without the possible negative press.

University reputations do matter, and UT-Austin is very, very good. But, if it's a difference between paying $130k over 4 years in state and maybe 20K over the same period somewhere else, the lift in reputation would have to be pretty damn big.

Apr 20, 2015
Softball is improving throughout the country and especially in the midwest. I think it's becoming less important to focus on certain states. Many of your top travel teams have girls from all over not just from California

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
Public universities are funded by the state to help residents get an education. Would be kind of crappy if my state tax dollars went toward educating an out of state student. Having said that, here in the NE, there are some reciprocal arrangements between states for specific degree programs that qualify out of state students for in state tuition. Paying merit scholarships to attract the best students from out of state allows universities to do exactly what you're talking about without the possible negative press.

University reputations do matter, and UT-Austin is very, very good. But, if it's a difference between paying $130k over 4 years in state and maybe 20K over the same period somewhere else, the lift in reputation would have to be pretty damn big.
1. Why would it be crappy for state tax dollars go to educating an out of state student but not be crappy for those same tax dollars going to giving an out of state athlete a position that should have been given to an in state athlete?

2. Speaking of tax dollars, I'm paying 13% of my income and property tax that would make you disgusted to help develop players and coaches born, raised and trained in this state.
Just as I'm sure residents of other states pay taxes to help develop players and coaches from their states and want to see them represent their state's school on the field

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
What’s preventing any CA college from hiring any of them tomorrow? Pony up the cash, demonstrate a commitment to softball, and get them to move.

You’re trying to solve a problem that simply doesn’t exist
What's preventing the other states from developing their own playing and coaching talent? Something wrong with the gene pools in those states?

Those other states get a ton of athletic department money from their football programs, money that has lead to them to realize that with what was raised locally, they can't compete nationally so they go to California, hire coaches and then get those coaches to recruit players from California because the in-state girls aren't good enough to play on the teams, they can still cheer in the stands,.maybe walk on and cheer from the dugout, but if the program wants to compete, the in state talent won't do.

That's the take away.

I just watched Oklahoma and none of their starters were from Oklahoma, shock, I know, but come on, how does any kid in Oklahoma take pride in a program that says they're not good enough to play for it?

Apr 20, 2015
Missouri has done well this year with mostly kids from the east coast and midwest. I think Kayla kessinger is their only impact player from cali.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
Mizzu's coach is from New York.
Their clean up hitter is from California
Only the 8 and 9 hitters are from Missouri

Did they actually play anybody in their regional? Chicago, northern Iowa? Looks like an sec football teams OOC schedule but it was who Missouri played, at home, to get to the super regional , at home, vs James Madison. Missouri may be the first team to two and que in OK City

I mean can we discuss how biased the seeds and the regionals and supers are?
Why is Washington playing Oklahoma in Supers?
Why did the SEC get 8 regional hosts? Other than ESPN airing the stupid thing?

There are 5 power 5 conferences, each conference should get 3 regional hosts and then the top non P5 school hosts the other regional
No teams from the same conference should play each other in regionals or super regionals
If one conference has 4 or 5 teams in OKC, that'd be OK because at least 2 or 3 of them would have had to have gone on the road to earn that berth.

As is we have the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network, who has financial ties to the SEC, placing their thumbs on the scale and getting 8 hosts for a conference that if you combine all of its schools doesn't have as many titles as the top 1 Pac 9 school let alone the whole Pac 9 combined. NCAA needs to stop playing favorites, regardless of when is putting the games on TV, balance out the schedules and let the best teams reach OKC on their own merit

May 11, 2014
What's preventing the other states from developing their own playing and coaching talent? Something wrong with the gene pools in those states?

Those other states get a ton of athletic department money from their football programs, money that has lead to them to realize that with what was raised locally, they can't compete nationally so they go to California, hire coaches and then get those coaches to recruit players from California because the in-state girls aren't good enough to play on the teams, they can still cheer in the stands,.maybe walk on and cheer from the dugout, but if the program wants to compete, the in state talent won't do.

That's the take away.

I just watched Oklahoma and none of their starters were from Oklahoma, shock, I know, but come on, how does any kid in Oklahoma take pride in a program that says they're not good enough to play for it?

Non political opinion, but how can the citizens of California have pride in their universities when their young women can't wait to go play in another state.

Nov 8, 2020
Non political opinion, but how can the citizens of California have pride in their universities when their young women can't wait to go play in another state.
Teenaged girls like big shiny new things and are easily talked in to poor decisions if told they'll be on TV?

Nov 8, 2020
Mizzu's coach is from New York.
Their clean up hitter is from California
Only the 8 and 9 hitters are from Missouri

Did they actually play anybody in their regional? Chicago, northern Iowa? Looks like an sec football teams OOC schedule but it was who Missouri played, at home, to get to the super regional , at home, vs James Madison. Missouri may be the first team to two and que in OK City

I mean can we discuss how biased the seeds and the regionals and supers are?
Why is Washington playing Oklahoma in Supers?
Why did the SEC get 8 regional hosts? Other than ESPN airing the stupid thing?

There are 5 power 5 conferences, each conference should get 3 regional hosts and then the top non P5 school hosts the other regional
No teams from the same conference should play each other in regionals or super regionals
If one conference has 4 or 5 teams in OKC, that'd be OK because at least 2 or 3 of them would have had to have gone on the road to earn that berth.

As is we have the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network, who has financial ties to the SEC, placing their thumbs on the scale and getting 8 hosts for a conference that if you combine all of its schools doesn't have as many titles as the top 1 Pac 9 school let alone the whole Pac 9 combined. NCAA needs to stop playing favorites, regardless of when is putting the games on TV, balance out the schedules and let the best teams reach OKC on their own merit

Or perhaps misery won't even reach OKC to go ohtwoque in spite of having the easiest road to reach there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2