Saw a crazy play yesterday…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
**Sorry - the following occurred during a baseball game but could happen during SB, as well.**

I was watching our local LL baseball team playing in the 12U District All-Star tournament yesterday. The other team was up to bat, had runners on 1st and 2nd, two outs. Ball was hit hard and actually deflected off the field umpire who was in the vicinity of behind SS. Runner on 2B made it to 3B and proceeded to round 3rd but then realized the ball never made it out of the IF so he was tagged out trying to get back to the bag.

Now obviously if this ball did not hit the umpire it would have easily made it to the OF and at least one run would have scored. I kind of felt bad for the other team because after that happened, the game was cut short (5th inning) as the skies opened up and they were the away team. Game over. My local LL won 1-0.

What is the official ruling for a play like that?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
**Sorry - the following occurred during a baseball game but could happen during SB, as well.**

I was watching our local LL baseball team playing in the 12U District All-Star tournament yesterday. The other team was up to bat, had runners on 1st and 2nd, two outs. Ball was hit hard and actually deflected off the field umpire who was in the vicinity of behind SS. Runner on 2B made it to 3B and proceeded to round 3rd but then realized the ball never made it out of the IF so he was tagged out trying to get back to the bag.

Now obviously if this ball did not hit the umpire it would have easily made it to the OF and at least one run would have scored. I kind of felt bad for the other team because after that happened, the game was cut short (5th inning) as the skies opened up and they were the away team. Game over. My local LL won 1-0.

What is the official ruling for a play like that?

G. Umpire interference occurs:
1 When an umpire is hit by a fair, untouched batted ball before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher. The batter-runner is awarded first base.

But, in softball, in practice, this never happens, because the base umpires work outside the infielders (like your LL game).

In your case, and in most cases in softball, if we're hit by a batted ball after it's passed an infielder, the ball is live.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies. Now if it deflected off the umpire and then goes out of play - would it then become dead ball, runner gets the base they were attempting to get to?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Thanks for the replies. Now if it deflected off the umpire and then goes out of play - would it then become dead ball, runner gets the base they were attempting to get to?

I. When a fair batted ball:
4 Deflects off a runner or umpire and goes out of play, after passing an infielder, excluding the pitcher and provided no other fielder had a chance to make an out.
Effect:
a The ball is dead.
b All runners are awarded two bases from the time of the pitch.

That written, a ball hit so hard that it deflects off an umpire and goes out of play would probably result in a severely injured or dead umpire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831