Got a good one for you . . .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
Ok, I know this is nearly two months later - but this happened at one of my games last week. Batter had an 0-2 count, swung at an inside pitch that got the bat, then ran up her hands tearing off her thumbnail. 12U community. Batting the lineup. No subs.

Between the coaches, they decided they would just skip her and move on. I offered some insight to the rules, but let them decide and they worked it out.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
Ok, I know this is nearly two months later - but this happened at one of my games last week. Batter had an 0-2 count, swung at an inside pitch that got the bat, then ran up her hands tearing off her thumbnail. 12U community. Batting the lineup. No subs.

Between the coaches, they decided they would just skip her and move on. I offered some insight to the rules, but let them decide and they worked it out.
Seems the ball would have to hit the hand/finger before touching the bat. In that case, wouldn't it be a dead ball swinging strike?

Mar 1, 2013
No, it clearly hit the bat and ran up her hand. There was no question on that. We can appeal to the replay team in New York, I guess. Besides, aren't the hands part of the bat? (tongue in cheek here - don't blow this up)

Jul 27, 2021
Thanks to my cynicism about coaches, especially rec league ones (a thankless job, I know), you almost have to assume the count. Otherwise, you'd have every girl getting mysterious illnesses and injuries ever time they got two strikes on them.

Edited to add: "Time, Blue! I think my batter has scurvy!"
Acute Scurvy?
15 minute scurvy?
Pediatric scurvy?
Retrograde scurvy?

Aug 22, 2023
It's funny for me to read this, because my husband the commissioner had to have a long discussion with his coaches this season about this exact scenario. I really thought when I read the OP that someone was talking about what happened in our league, except it was at 10U and the OP's handle doesn't sound like the name of either coach.

In our case, coach on defense wanted the batter out. Coach on offense wanted to sub a (better, fwiw) batter in at the same count - not compression but a full-up sub. Happened to be our two worst behaved coaches at that level, so of course they couldn't keep it quite entirely civil. And just like The Man in Blue said, both coaches have earned distrust on their motives also. I think they ended up with a sub and a lot of complaints to my husband, who soothed feelings.

Nov 7, 2022
Literally happened today at my kids game. Travel b/c. 11 on our roster tonight, injured player stayed out, next batter assumed the 0-1 count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831