Runs Allowed in USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
I almost posted the below on the USSSA South Florida Facebook page but thought better of it. I'm curious what you guys think of this rule. I'm trying to rally other coaches to my side.
Here it is:

I'm interested in how one goes about politicking for a rule change at USSSA. I imagine it's not easy but I think this one most would agree on. For reference we are a second year 10U team so this is coming with that perspective. The first tie breaker in pool games is runs allowed. I would like to see it changed to run differential which is currently the 2nd tie breaker.
The problem with runs allowed is it gives you less opportunity to develop all of your players especially pitchers, practice defense, and give the opposing teams more opportunity.
Lets say our team is positioning itself for the number one seed and has a matchup coming up that is uneven. What we would like to do is pitch a pitcher that needs some game action but we know will give up some walks and some runs. We would then rely on our bats and our defense to make up the difference. Right now we are incentivized to pitch our #1 and give up no runs even if that means winning 12-0. We saw a team this past weekend sweating an opposing girl score from third when they were winning 11-0.
I hope this makes sense and I know the counter to this is to just play the pool games anyway you want and let the seeding fall where it may. I agree with this too and we have seen many times where getting the #1 seed doesn't work out the way you planned.
But my point is lets make the rules encourage more development, more fun and less stress.

Sep 9, 2019
You could say a higher run differential was luck of the draw. At least runs allowed give you an idea of overall pitching and defensive strength. But really, it's pool play. Win on Sunday

Jun 11, 2013
I totally agree with changing it to differential. Utrip used to cap it at 8 which is also good. I know the argument that you should just win on Sunday but sometimes if you don't see high enough you wind up in a Silver bracket. Offense is half the game so scoring runs is important too. It does have to be capped at a reasonable number so you aren't encouraged to run up the score. Either way I always take visitor in pool.

Nov 26, 2020
I totally agree with changing it to differential. Utrip used to cap it at 8 which is also good. I know the argument that you should just win on Sunday but sometimes if you don't see high enough you wind up in a Silver bracket. Offense is half the game so scoring runs is important too. It does have to be capped at a reasonable number so you aren't encouraged to run up the score. Either way I always take visitor in pool.
It is still capped at 8.

Nov 26, 2020
A lot of times #1 seed is also the difference between getting to the fields at 10am or 7am.

May 6, 2015
We are a good second year 10u team and our head coach always plays for the #1 seed which means giving up as few runs as possible. In open tournaments we run into a lot of first year 10U teams and the scores always end up being 12-0. I want a rule change so we can develop pitchers, have more balls in play, play girls at different positions, make it more fun for the other team etc. We are constantly stepping off bases. I would rather win 20-12 and still have the max 8 run differential.

run, do not walk run.

a 10u coach always playing for a #1 seed in every tournament. head case. it is 10u, it should be about developement primarily.

I bet I can summarize his team. team is mostly loaded with girls who developed physically eariler than a lot of the other girls their age. they are currently studs. in 3-4 years, guess what, that all evens out. trust me.

Run away as fast as you can.

sorry, did not see later posts, see you are looking at options, smart. this guy will be exposed once girls with good fundamentals but less physically developed catch up by 14u.

Sep 9, 2019
I agree with wanting a 1 seed but more importantly playing the game correctly. and at this age, having fun and developing should be goal number 1. Unless the coach plans on restocking every year to replace those that are sitting in pool play to earn that seed. There will be no perfect seeding method. We've lost plenty of bracket games as a 1 seed and if you don't, you're not playing the right level. These tournaments may have multiple pools with no equality to the competition. It can work both ways. You get run differential and you'll start comparing the competition. Its a no win other than to use pool play to warm up for brackets.

May 6, 2015
I can appreciate that but I can't run since I'm the President of the organization. We didn't cherry pick the kids we did develop them and there is definitely a mix of talent. My DD is tiny but a good little baller. The head coach and I make a good team we just differ here and I think the rules favor his approach.
he should not coach 10u, if you are prez, can him. simple, he should not be coaching 10u, not in any way shape or form. if I was parent of #11 player on that team, I would be putting stop payments on checks and finding new org.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13