USSSA approved drying agent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2018
Please point out where I said one word about the manufacturer claimed it was legal in usssa?

According to a usssa state UIC I know it is perfectly legal in usssa. He says it is in their casebook and is supposed to be getting me a reference.
Please pass that reference along. Always like to have these references in dd bag of ever needed.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
@richard straight from the National Director of officials and rules editor for usssa:

“Gorilla gold is the only approved drying agent other than dirt and powdered resin. We don’t see the need to reference a product by name in the rule book”

May 29, 2015
Please point out where I said one word about the manufacturer claimed it was legal in usssa?

According to a usssa state UIC I know it is perfectly legal in usssa. He says it is in their casebook and is supposed to be getting me a reference.

Sorry, @Comp . . . didn't mean to infer that you said that. It was what kicked off the last big thread on the topic.

USSSA has a casebook? They have an "Interpretations and Clarifications" document and it hasn't been updated since 2018. Hint: NO MENTION of drying agents or Gorilla Gold.

May 29, 2015
@richard straight from the National Director of officials and rules editor for usssa:

“Gorilla gold is the only approved drying agent other than dirt and powdered resin. We don’t see the need to reference a product by name in the rule book”

Coach, another anonymous umpire on a softball forum quoted a USSSA official and posted it on a message board saying that it was not worth their time to tell us it is actually legal even though the book outlaws that type of product . . . He even said they might put it on a list that doesn't exist in a book that doesn't exist. I don't know how much more authority you need for me to tell you I can make this call! I'm buying it!

;)

If you don't want to reference it, fine. Then at least remove the language that outlaws it.

Jun 22, 2008
It was specifically listed back in the 2011 rulebook as well as the USA (at the time ASA) rulebook. For whatever reason, both removed the specific address of it by name in later rulebooks, which would align with the statement that they do not want reference a product by name. NFHS said the same thing, they did not want to reference any particular product, but that Gorilla Gold was legal.

USSSA 2011 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

Nov 18, 2015
It was specifically listed back in the 2011 rulebook as well as the USA (at the time ASA) rulebook. For whatever reason, both removed the specific address of it by name in later rulebooks, which would align with the statement that they do not want reference a product by name. NFHS said the same thing, they did not want to reference any particular product, but that Gorilla Gold was legal.

USSSA 2011 Rules:
I. Foreign Substance on the ball/Items on pitcher. The pitcher shall not at any time be allowed to use any moisture or foreign substance on the ball, the pitching hand or fingers nor do anything to deface the ball. Neither shall any other player or team personnel apply moisture or a foreign substance to the ball nor do anything to deface the ball. Under the supervision and control of the Umpire, powdered resin may be on the hands to dry them. Gorilla Gold is a type of resin and is allow by USSSA Fast Pitch. The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.
I believe it was listed in the USSSA rulebook up through 2015 versions.

Jun 22, 2008
DD pitcher moved teams and now plays in more USSSA tournaments than USA softball tournaments. USA Softball maintains current lists of approved drying agents: https://www.usasoftball.com/certified-equipment/

Does USSSA have anything similar besides lists of bat and ball manufactures? Specifically she has gotten used to gorilla gold, especially on cooler wetter days. And we have some tournaments (USSSA) upcoming here in the great northeast where it would help her out.

I have found some posts on here from a few years back, where the manufacturer states it's approved, but the rules being vague opens up ump interpretation.
My DD uses gorilla gold. There is no specific call out for the gorilla gold. I believe there were old versions that did call it out specifically.

Have not had any issues. Umps seem to know more about it now

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk
If you want to message me with what states you are from and your email addresses, my contact said he would have your state UIC for USSSA email you the ruling directly.

May 13, 2021

USSSA 2011 Rules:
Gorilla Gold is not the only company that makes products like this anymore. That would be the reason they wont mention anyone by name.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
It is USSSA, so it will change tomorrow. Each Tournament Director and UIC will have their own set of rules and it will be enforced differently everwhere you play. And if it is called and the team tells the TD they won’t come back, it will be changed right then and there…..$$$$$$$

May 29, 2015
It is USSSA, so it will change tomorrow. Each Tournament Director and UIC will have their own set of rules and it will be enforced differently everwhere you play. And if it is called and the team tells the TD they won’t come back, it will be changed right then and there…..$$$$$$$

It will change? It is being inconsistently stated, so there is little wonder why it would be inconsistently enforced.

Thank you @Comp and @Gags for those history lessons. I'm sure you are probably frustrated with me and my position by now. First round is on me.

I can totally understand why they would remove the name of the product. The problem is their wording still outlaws it as it is a "tacky substance." It is NOT sufficient, no matter what rule or ruleset we are discussing, to simply play telephone and say, "The rules says this is illegal, but THIS is legal, pass it on."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles