Runner taking a step backwards on way to 1st Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2013
I was watching ASU game (I believe) within the last two weeks. There were runners on 1st and 2nd and less than two outs. Batter hits a slow roller to the 1st baseman. 1st baseman picks up ball and goes to tag batter. Prior to the tag, the batter stops and takes one step back, towards home. Batter is called out and UW coach comes out of dugout and consults with home plate umpire. Runners that had advanced to 3rd and 2nd bases were directed to return to 1st and 2nd bases because the ASU batter had taken a step backwards.

Is this rule the same in ASA, USSSA, NFHS?

Just wondering?

Mar 22, 2012
Correct for NCAA. Dead ball, runners return to bases occupied at time of pitch.

Don't know about USSSA, but ASA and I think NFHS returns runners based on time of infraction.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
In NFHS and in ASA the ruling is dead ball, batter-runner is out, all runners return to base last obtained at time of infraction. It is treated as interference.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree that it is an out in fed and ASA. The only time I see a runner back up is in college. I think that is interesting. As a first baseman myself - everyone else just tries to run me over.

Jan 25, 2011
If the runner just stops running and gives herself up, that is fine right? Make the first baseman come to you.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If the runner just stops running and gives herself up, that is fine right? Make the first baseman come to you.

Yes, that is fine. As long as there's no step back toward home plate.

Also, stepping back toward the plate is not a rule violation if it's not part of an effort to avoid or delay a tag. For example, suppose the batter hit a fly to the outfield and thought it was caught, or foul, but it wasn't. If she initially turned around and headed back, that wouldn't be a rule violation because there was no tag attempt being made.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD is a 1st baseman and this has happened a couple of times. Both times, hitter out and runners returned to base occupied at time of pitch.

Amy, you are so right that the runners try to knock the 1st baseman over. Two times last year runners tried to to so to my dd. Both times, after the collision, she was accused by opposing coaches of "knocking their players out." The problem with this is that my dd is so nice that she is the one that cried after the game because those girls were "knocked out." Finally, and one other person on this site and I have talked about this. When DD was playing last year of 18U ball, runner tried to knock DD over on same play. DD delivered the blow and batter was laid out. Batter got up and thought that she was going to do something about it. Wow, bad idea. DD didn't cry after that one but that other girl did. Later found out that this program teaches their girls to try to take out 1st baseman on those types of plays.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors