runner doesn't tag up but you can't tag her out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I'm sorry but I'm reading this a little different, sounds like the runner just ran towards home before the ball was caught and once the fielder did catch it. She threw it to home rather then just tag the base. Catcher tagged the runner before runner could return to base to either tag up or just stay on the base. Thats how I'm reading the post, I could be wrong.

This is the way I read the situation as well.

Jun 22, 2010
Had the runner reached the plate yet? If not, that's Momo'sDad's situation from #7: runner off a base, tagged with a live ball. That's an out as of the last time I went to umpire school. ;)

If she HAD reached the plate, though, then (as Comp says) the umpire needs to be told that it's an appeal.

Jun 22, 2008
Dont know where I got in the original post the runner had crossed the plate, maybe just reading to fast. If the runner had not yet reached the plate, then yes you simply have a runner who was tagged while not in contact with a base and it is an out. If the runner had already crossed the plate, then you would need to appeal to the umpire as to why you were tagging the runner.

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry, getting close to another year older and they do say the mind is the first to go. LOL

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm sorry but I'm reading this a little different, sounds like the runner just ran towards home before the ball was caught and once the fielder did catch it. She threw it to home rather then just tag the base. Catcher tagged the runner before runner could return to base to either tag up or just stay on the base. Thats how I'm reading the post, I could be wrong.

this is correct except the catcher tagged her as she came home. the catcher and the runner were standing on home plate looking at the umpire who wasn't saying anything (safe or Out).

afterward, the umpire told the confused coaches (both teams) that you cannot tag the runner in that situation to get the out, you can only tag the base she left.

I think what I'm getting from this discussion is that if the runner reached the plate before the throw and was then tagged, the defense would need to appeal in order for her to be called out- is that right?

Jun 22, 2008
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. If the runner had not yet reached home and was tagged by the catcher while not in contact with a base this would be an out in vitually any situation. The umpire was incorrect in telling you the ball had to be thrown back to the base she left.

And yes, if the runner had already reached home, the catcher would now need to tell the umpire why they were tagging the runner, and appeal the runner having left early.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Dont know where I got in the original post the runner had crossed the plate,

I know where you got it. The OP state that the defender threw the ball home as opposed to just touching 3B. To me, that is a clear indication the reference is to an appeal play. Otherwise, touching the base has absolutely no meaning, at all.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FWIW, I Found the rule-
In the ASA rulebook, Rule 8, Section 7, paragraph F states : "(The Runner is out) When the runner leaves a base to advance to another base before a caught flyball has touched a fielder, providing the ball is returned to the infield and properly appealed."

I didn't know that this was an appeal play- so now I know.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
FWIW, I Found the rule-
In the ASA rulebook, Rule 8, Section 7, paragraph F states : "(The Runner is out) When the runner leaves a base to advance to another base before a caught flyball has touched a fielder, providing the ball is returned to the infield and properly appealed."

I didn't know that this was an appeal play- so now I know.

Thanks!

Boy, do I need more coffee, because the more I read this thread the more I get confused. Old age may be a problem too.:)

I understand the above rule as stated if time has been called.

1. But if 3b caught the ball and simply tagged third base before runner returned or time was called, would the runner not be out? Looks like it would be an automatic call by the BU and no appeal necessary. If a line drive is hit to the 1st baseman and runner breaks on the crack of the bat and 1st baseman catches ball and touches first base with ball in her possession, the base runner is out. No appeal necessary. Looks to me to be the same thing.

2. If 3b catches ball and throws home and catcher tags runner before she reaches home plate, would she not be out as a normal play or even if she did leave early and you would not need to appeal (just as Comp stated above)? Unless I am reading the above rule out of context, it is saying the runner is "dead" and cannot be tagged.

3. If in the above situation, the runner touches home plate before being tagged by the catcher. After being tagged, would the runner still not be out because she has touched or is touching the base illegally and has been properly tagged by the catcher? Runner is on first base and takes lead once ball leaves pitchers hand. Fly ball and RF catches ball and throws to 2nd base were runner is standing and 2b tags runner. Is she not called out by the BU because she is on the base illegally or does 2nd baseman have to wait to tag her when she attempts to return to first, throw to first base, or wait for time and appeal for leaving early?

I told you I was confused, I'm not eve sure what I just wrote. But I am going to get more coffee!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves