Tag up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2022
Runner tags up and leaves base before fly ball caught. Realizes error and tries to return to base she left. To get the out, does the infielder touch the base before runner returns or does the runner need to be tagged?

Mar 1, 2013
You can get the out by tagging the while holding the ball prior to the runner returning to retouch.

Note - this is NOT under any circumstances in any stick and ball game considered a force out. It’s a live ball appeal.

Mar 1, 2013
It is a force play

No. This is never treated as a force play. It's a live ball appeal for a base left early. The mechanics of the appeal may be similar to how a force out is applied, but they are entirely different. You can never, ever, have a "force out" at any base when the Banner-Runner has been retired. Calling it a force play just confuses everyone, especially when it comes to scoring a run when that's the third out (it's a timing thing on the appeal of a runner leaving a base too soon).

Every stick and ball game, every association. Kickball too.

May 29, 2015
Actually, the answer is all of that and none of that.

You MUST know what code you are playing under. Some codes allow dead ball appeals, some codes require live ball appeals.

Under any code, tagging the base during the live ball is sufficient. Under any code, tagging the runner while they are off the base also works.

Some codes will also allow a verbal appeal (dead or live), in which case you don't need to tag anything.

@eddieq has it when he said it is NOT a force play and it is, in fact, a time play. That is all codes.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Actually, the answer is all of that and none of that.

You MUST know what code you are playing under. Some codes allow dead ball appeals, some codes require live ball appeals.

Under any code, tagging the base during the live ball is sufficient. Under any code, tagging the runner while they are off the base also works.

Some codes will also allow a verbal appeal (dead or live), in which case you don't need to tag anything.

@eddieq has it when he said it is NOT a force play and it is, in fact, a time play. That is all codes.

Off the top of your head, which codes do not allow the dead ball appeals? Which codes do not allow verbal appeals?

May 29, 2015
Off the top of your head, which codes do not allow the dead ball appeals? Which codes do not allow verbal appeals?

I will say that I left that a little more generic than I believe I should have, considering this is a softball forum.

NCAA Softball, NFHS Softball and Baseball, USA Softball, USSSA Softball all allow live or dead ball appeals. Live ball appeals must be physical (holding the ball) and should be verbal (to alert the umpire of what you are doing), while dead ball appeals can be just verbal.

Major League Baseball (Official Baseball Rules) and NCAA Baseball do not allow a dead ball appeal. USSSA Baseball uses OBR as its foundation, so they also do not allow a dead ball appeal.

My 2 cents: Even during a verbal, dead ball appeal, I will ask a coach to have the players male the physical appeal also. It is NOT required, but as a matter of game management I find it helps when everybody can see what is happening.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
Had an NFHS game in March that the plate umpire would not let the appeal happen until he gave the play ball signal, and wouldn’t give that until the ball was in the circle. It was comedic and frustrating watching the ball go back and forth until everyone understood what was needed to move forward. I think the ball went to the base and circle twice before everyone was happy. (Appeal was successful, too!j

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13