runner doesn't tag up but you can't tag her out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
game yesterday, runners on 2nd and 3rd, no outs.

batter hits an easy fly to 3b, runner breaks for home, 3b makes catch and throws home to catcher (rather than tagging the base) catcher tags runner and umpire makes no call. coaches tell catcher to throw it back to 3B who misses the throw and it goes to left field as the runner returns safely to 3B.

Umpire says on that play (caught fly ball) the defense can only tag the base that was left, not the runner who is returning to that base.

sounded crazy to us but I had another umpire tell me today that was correct.
can someone tell me where I can find that in the ASA rulebook?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have seen baserunners tagged out rather then the bag many times over. I don't think you can have the unassisted triple play without one of the runners tagged after a catch. I don't have the rule book but I would be surprised if you cannot tag out a runner who is not on a base, at any time other then over running first base.

Jun 22, 2008
You have to make it clear what you are appealing. On the throw home and tag of the runner past home plate, did anyone tell the umpire they were appealing the runner leaving early? If not, there was nothing to make a call on. Same thing if they were to throw the ball to the base and tag the base. If it were clear the runner was trying to return and the throw came in ahead of the runner then it is obvious it is a live ball appeal. But, in the situation you have described the defense would need to tell the umpire they were appealing the runner leaving early.

As for the umpire telling you the ball had to be thrown to the base to make the appeal, that would be incorrect. An appeal can be made by tagging either the base or the runner.

Mar 13, 2010
As for the umpire telling you the ball had to be thrown to the base to make the appeal, that would be incorrect. An appeal can be made by tagging either the base or the runner.

Additionally, in a dead ball situation, can be made verbally by any infielder with or without the ball (ASA).

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I wonder if the runner crossing home plate before the tag was made makes a difference. Then I guess you could throw back to 3rd to appeal that the runner 'left early'......

Jun 22, 2008
I wonder if the runner crossing home plate before the tag was made makes a difference. Then I guess you could throw back to 3rd to appeal that the runner 'left early'......

It makes a difference in the sense that unless the defense tells the umpire why they are tagging the runner, there is no call to be made after the runner has scored. The defense didnt even need to throw back to 3rd to make the appeal, but they did need to tell the umpire why they were tagging the runner.

Feb 3, 2011
Additionally, in a dead ball situation, can be made verbally by any infielder with or without the ball (ASA).
A fly ball was caught. How is that a dead ball?

If the ball is live, however, and the runner is not on a base, why are they not liable to be tagged out by a fielder in possession of the ball?

Jun 22, 2008
A fly ball was caught. How is that a dead ball?

If the ball is live, however, and the runner is not on a base, why are they not liable to be tagged out by a fielder in possession of the ball?

He didnt say it was a dead ball. He said additionally in a dead ball situation. In softball you dont have to throw the ball around to make appeals. The defense can simply wait for playing action to stop, call time and simply tell the umpire they are appealing a runner leaving early, missing a base etc. Everything done in the original play presented was done live ball. The defense could also have just thrown the ball to pitcher, called time and then simply appealed to the umpire the runner left early.

Jan 25, 2011
I'm sorry but I'm reading this a little different, sounds like the runner just ran towards home before the ball was caught and once the fielder did catch it. She threw it to home rather then just tag the base. Catcher tagged the runner before runner could return to base to either tag up or just stay on the base. Thats how I'm reading the post, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
He didnt say it was a dead ball. He said additionally in a dead ball situation. In softball you dont have to throw the ball around to make appeals. The defense can simply wait for playing action to stop, call time and simply tell the umpire they are appealing a runner leaving early, missing a base etc. Everything done in the original play presented was done live ball. The defense could also have just thrown the ball to pitcher, called time and then simply appealed to the umpire the runner left early.

Not so quick. :) Simply getting the umpire to suspend play does not mean your appeal will be honored. For that matter, it should be noted that being quick to announce that appeal may actually benefit the offense.

It should be noted that when the UMPIRE calls time, any runner may return and touch any base missed or left too soon. The umpire is instructed to wait until s/he believes all action by the runners and only then is to accept any appeals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283