Rib Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Gm Dfp!

I have a freshman that plays on the team. Last night in hit!ting practice when she was shaging flyballs she hurt herself in the rib area. I think she hurt them by throwing the balls in to the infield to the coach who is pitching. We didn't have a cutoff. The weird thing is she was fine when she left. It wasn't until later that she start feeling pain on her ribs on the throwing side! This is the second time she has done this! The first time we did not know how she had hurt herself! Same scenario no pain till later. Is it her throwing mechanics? She doesn't seem to throw the ball weird.

I feel so bad for b/c she just made Varsity and was doing great! Last time she was out for 6 weeks!
Just thought I would ask u guys for your opinions on this!

Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sounds like a strained or pulled rib muscle. She should probably take it easy for a couple of weeks. A heating pad should help with the pain.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Sounds like a strained or pulled rib muscle. She should probably take it easy for a couple of weeks. A heating pad should help with the pain.
Thanks Jad! I thought u ice first 48hrs then heat after that? Isn't that strange the delay of pain!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't think that it is strange. I never have much pain until the day after. Yes, ice and rest. But, what does she tell the coach? And when I was teaching (coaching) I would need a doctor's release, to allow her to play again. (I mean, if she is sitting out, for an injury.)

Ribs are odd. Sometimes running, even hurts. I would wear a shirt with a protective rib pad in it, because you know she is going to get poked with an elbow.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
For muscle strains: RICE

Rest - for at least a day
Ice - immediately, and continue to ice 15 min every hour (not sure when to stop this, I expect we should use common sense)
Compress - ACE bandage, gently
Elevate (if possible)

Just finished my "coach's 1st aid class" yesterday lol!

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Im not a doctor and I didnt stay at a holiday inn last night.

Sounds like an oblique muscle issue. Could be a strain or pull but if she didnt feel the pain immediately could just be sore muscles from a good work out.
Tread lightly oblique Injuries can take a player out for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach