Recuiting Services

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
I agree with everything that's already been written in this thread.

Having said that, it might not be a bad idea to have your dd attend an ondeck tryout. The price is reasonable and if she does well enough she will get invited to one of their recruiting jamborees. If nothing else, she will get tested on bat speed, throwing velocity, and foot speed and it's good to have those measurables. Just a thought.

Dec 20, 2012
I can see a night off at the Walton home.

Wife: Honey you coming to bed?

Tim: Not yet, I'm looking thru Captain U trying to find 2017 SS that hits from the left. I have it narrowed down to 2,762.

Dec 20, 2012
It would be worth a few bucks to find a dad/mom in your area that has been thru the process(successfully) and hire them out to make a video, write an introduction letter, send updates, ........ You relay the info to him/her and they can get all contact info for coaches and asst coaches. They can personalize every email and send it hem out to the 100+ schools you kid is interested in.

To be able to sufficiently sell a player that is an "unknown", for lack of better word. You would need a person that could give undivided attention to their needs. A person with a full time job could handle maybe, MAYBE 2-4 kids a season. This is just going by how hard we had to work.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD attends a softball training program 1x a week. I mentioned a scouting/recruiting consultant organization I was thinking of checking out to the director there who advised me to take anything they were offering for free, but talk to her before I spend a dime. it was good advice because I was able to get some good/useable info. One of the things was that as a freshman, DD should start the College search now. This involves a lot of research, including attending games of potential schools to see the level they are playing at. We decided that pending a call from Patrick Murphy or Tim Walton, DD will most likely attend a college in New England. Probably go DII or DIII though DI is still a possibility. The difference in her from last year to this year is like night and day. Last year she didn't like to have to talk to adults, made her nervous. Now she is dying to speak with College Coaches (and she has spoken to more than a dozen already)!

The key is, it got the ball rolling and I have yet to spend dime one!

Which reminds me, I have been assembling a reference file of info and I was thinking "College Recruiting Process" would make a good info thread for this site. It could include a lot of basic info that can get people into the game quicker.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD attends a softball training program 1x a week. I mentioned a scouting/recruiting consultant organization I was thinking of checking out to the director there who advised me to take anything they were offering for free, but talk to her before I spend a dime. it was good advice because I was able to get some good/useable info. One of the things was that as a freshman, DD should start the College search now. This involves a lot of research, including attending games of potential schools to see the level they are playing at. We decided that pending a call from Patrick Murphy or Tim Walton, DD will most likely attend a college in New England. Probably go DII or DIII though DI is still a possibility. The difference in her from last year to this year is like night and day. Last year she didn't like to have to talk to adults, made her nervous. Now she is dying to speak with College Coaches (and she has spoken to more than a dozen already)!

The key is, it got the ball rolling and I have yet to spend dime one!

Which reminds me, I have been assembling a reference file of info and I was thinking "College Recruiting Process" would make a good info thread for this site. It could include a lot of basic info that can get people into the game quicker.

Sounds like a good idea. IMO, the process is much smoother when both softball and academic objectives/priorities are assessed (objectively and realistically!) at the very beginning. Doing that makes sure you spend your valuable time, money, and efforts most efficiently and effectively.

Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
Long time lurker. First time poster. First step is find colleges she thinks she'll like. Then join on-campus skills clinics. Maybe 3 each at D1, D2, D3. The tours and people she meets will shape her direction for college size, setting (city/smaller town), coaching styles, roster size, etc. And honest feedback about interest. We planned to, but never got to skills vid, postcards, etc. DD#1 decided she wanted to be within about 300 miles of home. Joined the clinics after HS freshman year. And interested coaches will to do the rest, asking for club and HS schedules, sending emails, arranging visits, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom