Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

If the hand leads the elbow then you get ground balls. They need to be stacked.

Yes, except the hands always lead the back elbow.
Always. They are always in front of the back elbow. They are not stacked in the literal sense.
As FFS stated, the hands are never directly(stacked) over the back elbow.
Unless there is bat drag.
IMO of course.

BD

Jan 24, 2011
I am a hitting coach, and I think I know a drill that can help. It's called the Knob Drill, and it's pretty simple. All you need to do is set up a tee (slightly higher than usual) and have the batter get fairly close to it. To exaggerate the motion of throwing your hands forward, they hit the ball with the knob of the bat. But, there are some things to look out for. Instead of throwing their hands forward, some girls lunge - watch out for this. And, make sure they are driving their back leg into the ground as they pivot and throw their hips forward. Once they've mastered this about 10 times, do some resistance swings, so have them set up the same but hold their bat back. Do this five times, and then go back to the regular knob drill. Good luck! Let me know if this helps!

R

RayR

BD,

We have been using the Casey Drill in our team practices and the one's who struggled at first are now improving as their hands are more active....you cannot cheat this drill when on the front knee....if you drop your hands, drop the barrel or drop your shoulder as your first move you are dead....

R

RayR

If this drill promote getting the hands outside the front elbow as a first move you are engineering a casting swing....

I am a hitting coach, and I think I know a drill that can help. It's called the Knob Drill, and it's pretty simple. All you need to do is set up a tee (slightly higher than usual) and have the batter get fairly close to it. To exaggerate the motion of throwing your hands forward, they hit the ball with the knob of the bat. But, there are some things to look out for. Instead of throwing their hands forward, some girls lunge - watch out for this. And, make sure they are driving their back leg into the ground as they pivot and throw their hips forward. Once they've mastered this about 10 times, do some resistance swings, so have them set up the same but hold their bat back. Do this five times, and then go back to the regular knob drill. Good luck! Let me know if this helps!

Jan 24, 2011
Oh, I definitely agree if that were the point of the drill. But, the hitter needs to lead with her lead elbow, as always. Using the knob is to exaggerate the idea that her hands travel inside of the ball while she's throwing them towards the pitcher when she swings.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
BD,

We have been using the Casey Drill in our team practices and the one's who struggled at first are now improving as their hands are more active....you cannot cheat this drill when on the front knee....if you drop your hands, drop the barrel or drop your shoulder as your first move you are dead....

MTS, BD ... could one of you describe the Casey drill?

Jul 28, 2008
Here is one of the girls. I also noticed with this clip, a hiccup in her swing right after contact.

MG.gif

We have a double T that we use where one of them I located inside and have them bump the ball off with the knob, then they pause before they swing and hit the 2nd ball off of the other T. It's just recently that I noticed her with the bat drag she now has. I'll double check her bat, she may be swinging a 12 drop.

Last edited:
R

RayR

FFS,

It's just soft toss with the hitter on one knee....just isolating the hands....if they drop or if the barrel or shoulder drops as a first move it is a very difficult drill to do....

Being on the front knee is definitely the harder of the two....

MTS, BD ... could one of you describe the Casey drill?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan