really bad loss..advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
From my years of coaching I have realized that the girls reflect the attitudes of their parents, mostly, and their coaches, secondly. Knowing this I try to keep a calm demeanor for my daughters and players. That would be my first suggestion.

Next, I agree with Amy. I've seen coaches "devastated" by losses, for one reason or another, totally flipping out while the girls are off playing with their friends apparently, not knowing that their "world's just ended". In other words, it's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

Lastly, the great thing about sports is it reflects life (and it is life in a way). Crap happens and you just deal with it. You work on the things that you can control and the things beyond your control (i.e. umpires) you just accept.

Good luck with your next game!

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Its all about the improvement!

Experiencing the same thing. Buuuuuuut second part of season has been going better. Things happen for a reason! Suck it up buttercup. You'll be fine…..

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I tell mine some days you are playing against the other team, umps and fans (both sides). Some days will be bad but we take the life lesson and learn from it. Past is the past now lets focus on the next game.

Feb 15, 2013
We had this happen a few weeks ago. The girls were visibly upset after the game, not crying but downright angry. I told them the best umpires, who make the fewest missed calls, are working in the NPF and when they are playing in the NPF, they should expect the umpires to be as near perfect as they are. The next best umpires are in college Div I, then Div II, then Div III, then NAIA, then JUCO, then 18 Gold, then 18 A, then HS varsity, then our level (16A). I used a hand gesture at each level, starting at the top and by the time I got to 16A, I was at about knee level. I think it was a good speech and helped them.

(Editors note: even at the very top, umpires still blow calls. For example I was watching Armando Galaragga throw a perfect game 3 years ago when Jim Joyce, a very experienced and highly regarded MLB umpire, blew an easy call. Cost us all an infinitely valuable piece of history. Part of being a human.)

Dec 7, 2011
DD's HS team had a very bad day the other day (unfortunately it was a double-header).

It didn't start with the home team bias crap from umpires (as DD did have first inning control issues for the first time this year and pegged two batters right away) but it quickly got there (still in the first inning).

Bases loaded and 1-out. Slow roller to third and force at home. Usually an automatic, especially in the hs domain. But Noooooo. Umpire saw with his crisp 70 yr old eyes that the catchers heel was off the ground over home plate - safe at home.. Here is where it all fell apart.

Our coaches get very vocal, tick off the home plate ump to the point I would have ejected them. What happens next? Slow roller to DD pitching, play at home,.....guess what? Yup - without even looking at the plate the home ump calls girl coming in "safe" again.

At that point it was all over for the entire team,....2 games long (no mental recovery after game one either).

Perfect example of what NOT to do when confronted by ump biased crap from our entire team.

DW and I struggle with what the right response needs to be when confronted by home field ump bias to this degree. Ya gotta stand yer ground but ya can't let it tank the entire team......

(Kind of sad though as the only other HS case I remember of open home-field ump bias was in this same town 2 years ago....)

BUT the main point I wanted to make was the day was appropriately "flushed" and we all got back to our level of play the next day. THIS was goodness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1