Question Regarding Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
At 16u this was only her second game of playing at night and dealing with lights? This sounds like bad luck in normal field conditions and I’m sorry that this happened to your child but this is sports. Bad hops happen. Lights get angled poorly. Outfields are usually a mess. I can’t see blaming a coach in this situation. I probably would have said to this player shade your eyes, use your glove to block the glare…assuming any girl I put out there is going to struggle with the same view. I hope she heals quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
My issue is she told the Coach and he ignored her. At the very least he should have told her to put a face mask on. Not ignored her. That’s my issue.

Jun 8, 2016
For the record I never liked playing under lights. For whatever reason as an IF it seemed to effect my ability to read ball speed on ground balls..it just felt different. Granted I played under some lousy lights ..

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was playing in icing rain. 1st base coaches were catching runners after they reached 1st so they would not fall down.

Smarter heads prevailed and they called the game, it was dangerous out there.

In hindsight I wished I pulled her from the game, not worth it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My issue is she told the Coach and he ignored her. At the very least he should have told her to put a face mask on. Not ignored her. That’s my issue.
Sorry your dd was injured. But this is not the coaches fault. Your dd is old enough to look out for herself. She had a mask and she had a glove.

Your idea of putting your dd into the infield and putting a different girl into what you seem to think is harms way, it’s a little strange to me.

Jul 26, 2022
She’s 16 years old. She’s definitely old enough to make the decision to wear a fielding mask on her own if she feels the conditions are unsafe, but she chose not to wear one instead. Sorry your DD was injured but it sounds like it was just bad luck. I wouldn’t blame it on the coach.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
How many times did the ball bounce before it hit your daughter in the mouth?

Either way, your daughter's injury is not the head coaches fault.

Aug 5, 2022

My issue would be with my kid who chose not to protect herself by wearing the face mask she had in her bag if she really felt that she was that impaired. She’s nearly an adult and should consider this a lesson learned and I sincerely hope she heals quickly and well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
Sorry your dd was injured. But this is not the coaches fault. Your dd is old enough to look out for herself. She had a mask and she had a glove.

Your idea of putting your dd into the infield and putting a different girl into what you seem to think is harms way, it’s a little strange to me.
Because my daughter isn’t a left fielder

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
DD was playing in icing rain. 1st base coaches were catching runners after they reached 1st so they would not fall down.

Smarter heads prevailed and they called the game, it was dangerous out there.

In hindsight I wished I pulled her from the game, not worth it.
Wow, that is crazy.