Question about this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
On the Maxpreps site Shadow Hills HS forfitted their 2nd round win (1-0) because of this rule;

Bylaw 2521.2 says that "Teams entered in the softball playoffs will not be permitted to take batting practice on the day of a playoff game prior to the commencement of the contest," and that "Includes bunting or slap hitting. Batting practice will be construed as any type of pitching motion with ANY type of ball from in front of the batter (including pitching machines, underhand tossing, overhand throwing or pepper)."

What in the world are they thinking? Don't teams typically warm up by hitting? I'm at a loss why this would be a rule.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That's a crazy rule... we warm up every single game with soft toss into a net as well as front toss with TCB's or MOJO balls.
Looks like I'm in trouble!

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
This happened last year or two years ago, IIRC. It was what "Hit By Pitch" wrote: the home team has an advantage, especially if a cage and pitching machine are used, since the visiting team usually won't have time to utilize such a resource. Side-toss is still allowed, just nothing from in front of the batter.

It's a California thing, as far as I can tell. I don't know if any other states have it as well. Here's a link to the last time I heard of this happening: Breaking News: Duarte wins batting-practice protest, will play South El Monte on Tuesday | Best High School Sports Blog

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm going to take a stab at this rule.

Only logical thing I can muster up is the rule is in place to make it "fair" to both teams. And by that I mean the home team could/would have an advantage to practice more ( or at all ) compared to the visiting team. Let's take our regional championship game. We had to travel 2 hours to the home teams field. That's 2 hours the home team "could" warm up or take batting practice that we could not. My opinion.

The next mistake is the coach should have known the rules. Even myself, as only a parent, I've read our bylaws 100's of times to fully understand the do's and do not's to make sure NO violations occur.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Funny thing is they weren't the home team. What about regular season? Can you conduct batting practice then? The rule just specifically states playoffs.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Funny thing is they weren't the home team.
For those not in the SoCal area, Indio to San Pedro isn't exactly a short little trip (almost 150 miles, one-way). I can see why the bus got there so early, they probably left shortly after school started that day because the route they most likely took involved some of the busiest freeways in the area.

It seems like the adults from the other team knew they were in violation. If you read the story I posted from 2 years ago, the protesting team first told the umpires of the in-progress violation, and they told them they couldn't stop them. Then the coaches told the offending team's coaches about the in-progress violation, and they decided to continue on with it anyways. It was at that point that they decided to tape the violation and submit the protest. What would you all do if you were in that situation: warn the offending team so that they aren't DQ'd? Or tape it and protest later?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl