Question about coach on field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2010
I coach a team at what's basically a rec or instructional league level, so I don't have any experience outside our league. Yesterday, in a championship game, the opposing team had a coach sitting on a bucket against the backstop (hard to describe position, but think behind the RH batter's box). He was giving signs to the catcher, who would then relay them to the pitcher. The ump said this was legal. Is this common at higher levels? The pitcher had way more experience and training than the rest of the girls on her team or our team.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
I coach a team at what's basically a rec or instructional league level, so I don't have any experience outside our league. Yesterday, in a championship game, the opposing team had a coach sitting on a bucket against the backstop (hard to describe position, but think behind the RH batter's box). He was giving signs to the catcher, who would then relay them to the pitcher. The ump said this was legal. Is this common at higher levels? The pitcher had way more experience and training than the rest of the girls on her team or our team.

I don't allow it, because it could cause a blocked ball situation (especially in an instructional level, when the ball can go who knows where). I don't allow anyone or anything not involved in the game to be outside the dugout. If the coach wants to sit on his bucket and give signs to the catcher, he's going to do it from the dugout.

Jun 20, 2010
Amanda - He was on the field, in foul ground, against the fence that runs between backstop and dugout.

ASA ump - What do the rules say about it? Is it at the discretion of the umpire? Does the opposing coach have a say? He asked the umpire, who allowed it, so I figured I couldn't argue the point. I've never seen that before, but again my league is a lower level one. Does it happen in travel ball?

Jun 20, 2010
I'm sorry, but I forgot one thing. The ump also said if a ball in play hit the coach or bucket, it would be two bases. So, I'm assuming he meant a wild pitch or passed ball or throwing error with runners on... essentially the same as throwing the ball out of play. So it sounds to me like it's in a rulebook somewhere.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I have never ever seen this before dytakeda, but I can tell you that it would not happen in TB or rec league around here. I don't play ASA, so I'm not familiar with all of the rules but I'm certain that someone around here can give you a verdict on that.

Jun 10, 2010
I sit on a bucket and call all pitchers pitches in TB. But I seat at the dug out door on my bucket. it is allowed around here in any association. We play mostly USFA and USGF.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I see coaches on the bucket, just outside the dugout. It is too dangerous for me and I do think that various rules state that everyone must be in the dugout.

Next time, take a picture of him, so we can all see. :)

Jun 10, 2010
I see coaches on the bucket, just outside the dugout. It is too dangerous for me and I do think that various rules state that everyone must be in the dugout.

Next time, take a picture of him, so we can all see. :)

The associations we play states that one coach may be outside the dugout will the team is on Defense

Mar 13, 2010
Wouldn't be allowed here. There's the coaches box for that, otherwise they're in the dugout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06